Fatbroad49 is offline Beginner

Question Is Adding Memory A Good Idea?

I added memory to my Toshiba mini-notebook and it runs great now, but I also have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that's about 4-5 years old with 4GB RAM and I'm wondering if I should do the same with that one. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium. Funny thing is there's a warning about installing more memory---something about having to remove both chips because you must replace the one on the bottom first, for some reason. I'm assuming that won't pose a problem. I have heard, however, that sometimes a system won't "recognize" more memory so I thought I'd better ask.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Hi !

W7 32 or 64 bit ?

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Pretty much what I said to your HP question applies here too.

Does My HP Envy m6 Sleekbook Need More Memory?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

4GB is plenty. If you want better performance, add a SSD. They are really cheap these days. A 240GB Crucial is $112 with Promo Code EMCPGWW228

Newegg.com - Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD1

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

4GB is plenty.
    I would call 4Gb adequate - not plenty. But that depends on where you are starting from but sadly, like the HP thread, the OP has not provided enough information, or come back to provide information asked for.

There are many factors involved. How much does your motherboard support? What version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit). What do you do with this computer?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Fair, but for general use, 4GBs is more than you will fill during the day. I have more RAM, but I use it only when I run a couple of virtual machines together with the Win7 host.