Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vin K.

Thread: No Windows 7 64 Bit startup sound: Play Windows startup sound greyed out

azcartruck is offline New Member

Default No Windows 7 64 Bit startup sound: Play Windows startup sound greyed out

This is a strange problem.All the sounds work except the startup sound. It is greyed out but the box is checked to enable it except no sound at startup. This is not a big deal but I have never seen this problem before and my computer works great and if possible would like to figure this out. I built the computer about a month ago and then installed an SSD for C drive. I think the startup sound worked with the 1 TB HDD but not sure.

Thanks for any help you can give.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Some thoughts on it:

Change the default sound scheme and see if it helps.
    How to change Sounds in Windows 8 | 7

Run the Windows Audio troubleshooter.
    Troubleshoot, solve, fix computer problems in Windows 7 natively

Make sure your audio related drivers are up-to-date.
    Uninstall, Disable, Roll Back, Update Device Drivers in Windows 8 | 7

Perform a Clean Boot and see if it works in that state. This way you will know if something is interfering with it.
    Difference between Safe Mode & Clean Boot State in Windows

Ensure that the Windows Audio service is set at Automatic - via Services.msc.

Run system file checker sfc /scannow, just to replace possible file corruptions.
    System File Checker: Run sfc /scannow in Windows 7 | 8

Could this has been restricted by an admin or some software maybe? Please check.
    How to prevent changing of Sound Scheme in Windows 7 | 8

Hope something helps.

Vin K. is offline Beginner

Hi Azcartruck,

I'm facing exactly the same problem. Have you solved it yet? If yes, please let me know how you did it.
    I've been using a laptop for the last four years, and it always played the startup sound correctly. Now I'm on a brand new pc for about six months, and the startup sound only
    plays about once in a hundred times. I can't figure out what the problem is. I've tried to find a fix on several forums, but so far to no avail. I can't stand it, even though it's
    just a small issue. All the system sounds are working fine except the startup sound.
    Should it be the case that you haven't found a fix either, I will inform you if I find one!

Greetings from The Netherlands, Vince Konings.

Vin K. is offline Beginner

Well, I've found the solution, or at least a simple workaround!
    I've downloaded the Windows startup sound from YouTube, and converted the file to wav-format. Then I made a new task in
    Task Manager: to play this file at startup. Please make sure you check that the task is performed even when you're not
    logged on! With this done, the startup sound plays smoothly. Problem solved!

Vince from Holland.
    HappyAndyK likes this.