Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Digerati

Thread: Cannot add Desktop gadgets in Windows 7

macko1944 is offline Beginner

Default Cannot add Desktop gadgets in Windows 7

I would like to add a couple of gadgets to my desktop, but when I right click on desktop, I am told that only the administrator has the right to do it. I AM THE ONLY PERSON HANDLING THIS COMPUTER,s o I should be the one and only ADMINISTRATOR. How can I get this machine to obey and add a couple of gadgets?Can anyone help please? Much appreciated.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

I AM THE ONLY PERSON HANDLING THIS COMPUTER,so I should be the one and only ADMINISTRATOR.
    Not necessarily. It all depends on the type account that one and only user has. So when you look in Control Panel > User Accounts, what does it say yours is?

Also, note that gadgets were discontinued because they were proven to be too great a security risk.
    macko1944 likes this.

macko1944 is offline Beginner

Thank you so much for your clear response.While the User Accounts names me as Administrator,I accept that gadgets were discontinued for being risky and will stop looking to add to my desktop.Thanks again for the quick and efficient response.I am glad I checked,because I was not notified about getting a response,as I requested and usually do.But all is well that ends well and thank you again!Very grateful!

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If you have IE11 installed, then you will have difficulties with the gadgets. Whilst some gadgets may be a threat, the common ones like standard Clock, CPU Meter, Weather, Slideshow are benign. Just don't download any gadgets from the net.