eltampa is offline New Member

Default Security issue with User Account Control?

I suddenly started getting user account control requests every 15 seconds or so to allow MS Windows to make updates to my computer. When I deny the request, the request goes away briefly, but returns within approximately 15 seconds. The publisher's (Microsoft Corporation) certificate only shows certificate validity to 1/22/2010. Should I allow MS Windows to make the change? Is the lack of valid certificate date an indication that this is a security issue?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

No do not allow it to make changes. Can you find out which program wants to make the change? Because if it was the operating system which wanted to make the change - maybe after a Windows Update - it would not, in all likelihood, require your approval. It is quite likely something else wants to make the change.

I suggest you first full-scan your Windows PC, with your antivirus software. If you are using Windows Defender, you might want to download and use some portable malware scanner too, to get a second opinion. You could use Dr WEB CureIt. I use it occassionally.