Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RolandJS
  • 1 Post By RolandJS

Thread: System Restore Manager may need some fixin'

RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default System Restore Manager may need some fixin'

Others are reporting that their copy of SRM is problematic.
    I'm testing my copy of System Restore Manager today, will report if it will recognize current SRPs made today, or not.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Well, System Restore is problematic....

System Restore is not reliable, im not using it anymore.

I had problems after installling some upgrades, so i used system restore to "go back in time".
    But, after restoring windows-update still told me that i had a few updates installed,
    which is impossible since they were installed after the system restore point was created !?
    I knew that without checking the date, but when i looked at the list of installed upgrades i saw several dates after the system restore point was created,
    which of course should be impossible.

And my computer crashed....

I had to rebuild the system, reinstall the O/S, all updates from Microsoft, all software....

A much better and reliable method is to use (FREE) imaging software like fx. Macrium Reflect to create and restore the system.

I recommend it.
    I started using it 7 years ago, after reading what other users who had used it for many years had to say about it.
    Its easy to understand, and it works...

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
    Last edited by hackerman1; 21st August 2015 at 11:54.

RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

'Cause the main topic is System Restore Manager:
    Ok, using WindowsClub's System Restore Manager, I was able to single-file delete all of the older copies of SRPs; I've found that mass-highlighting & deleting is not always a sure thing.
    Using three separate SRP creating apps [2 are VBS scripts called by batchfiles, 1 is SRM's own internal create button]; closing SRM after using its internal create once; reopening after using two separate VBS SRP-creating scripts. All three newly created SRPs showed up in the display board.
    What I have not tried 'cause everything is working great right now, is clicking a choice and clicking on restore said choice within SRM. That I may try if/when an SRP restore is needed.

Hackerman1 is correct! SRPs are very problematic much of the time!
    They have limited value and limited success.
    hackerman1's suggestion of timely and restorable partition-images and/or HD-images backups are words of gold on a platter of sliver.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 21st August 2015 at 11:55.
    hackerman1 likes this.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

There must be something wrong with the VSS service. On another forum someone reported a similar phenomenon with Windows imaging. That uses the VSS services too.

He had made a basic full image and then some time later an incremental image. When he restored from the later incremental image, he got all the stuff from the initial full image of which some was deleted or changed in the meantime (the time between the initial full image and the later incremental image).

I think people who have that problem should report that to Microsoft. It seems to be a recent error. I don't have that problem. I use free Macrium, LOL.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Hackerman1 is correct! SRPs are very problematic much of the time !
    They have limited value and limited success.

Hackerman1's suggestion of timely and restorable partition-images and/or HD-images backups are words of gold on a platter of silver.
    Thank you !

Im glad to hear that my advice is appreciated.

ps.
    I cleaned up the quote a bit...
    ds.