Froghammer is offline New Member

Post Can't find "Turn Off Encryption Support" using policy editor

Folks:

Running Win 7 Home Premium

I'm very frustrated:

1. Ninite stopped working and stated: "A connection with server could not be established [0x80072efd]; Cannot connect; 354".

2. Tried a competitor Allmyapps which didn't work either stating: "Allmyaps servers couldn't be reached. Make sure Allmyapps can connect to the Internet, or try again later."

3. Alos found that I cannot connect to Google while using IE 11. However I can access Google using Firefox.

4. Trolling around the web I started learning About SSL and TLS and found all were unchecked, and greyed out under IE 11 Advanced tab. Could this be the source of my problem? However, there was no way for me to check any of these boxes. IE11 would not allow me to.

5. I found online that I could force IE to use TLS protocols by editing the "Turn off Encryption Support" policy in the registry.

6. From the policy editor, every website I found said go to: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Explorer Control Panel > Advanced Page > Turn Off Encryption Support

However "Turn Off Encryption Support" was not there. I cannot find Turn Off Encryption Support anywhere. After weeks of reading and figuring this out I find I'm at a dead end and very , very frustrated.

How can I turn on TLS? Will that solve my access problems.

Please advise:

Froghammer

Please advise.

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello and welcome to TWCF,

Open Registry Editor and navigate:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVe rsion\Internet Settings
    Set SecureProtocols (REG_DWORD) = a0 (hexadecimal base), and see if it works. If that doesn't helps, set it to a8 (hexadecimal base).

Hope this helps, Good luck

Froghammer is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kapil Arya View Post
    Hello and welcome to TWCF,

Open Registry Editor and navigate:

Set SecureProtocols (REG_DWORD) = a0 (hexadecimal base), and see if it works. If that doesn't helps, set it to a8 (hexadecimal base).

Hope this helps, Good luck

Hey Happy to be on board. I've been tracking this site for about a year. Its a great resource and has some fun stuff. I've been a casual Windows enthusiast all my life since ME. Sometimes I'm a bit impulsive and just do things that I read on the web that sound interesting. Unfortunately, I sometimes go too far and usually have to reinstall win7 at least once a year. Your site has never recommended something that didn't have a good effect on either my PC or my slowly growing Win-awareness.

Anyway, this sort of fixed my problem. Ninite worked! That's very helpful. Thank you. A couple of questions:

1. Why wouldn't Windows allow me to check any of the boxes in IE11? Could something, perhaps, have overwritten these settings, say a virus protection suite like Bit defender, and locked me out? Or, is that degree of access prohibited by WIN 7 Home edition (did I need a higher edition?)

2. Why wasn't "Turn Off Encryption Support" present when I was using gpedit? Everywhere Ive read mentioned it should have been there. In fact, I found almost nothing regarding if it wasn't there.

3. In both of your edits only TLS 1.0 and either one, or both SSL options were checked. From what I've been reading, I thought the best option with regards to safety was to uncheck all SSL boxes (its the old convention and isn't supported - doesn't using SSL make me vulnerable to a POODLE attack?) and check all TLS options (its the latest convention and still being developed and updated)?

Hey, thanks again. I hope your not annoyed by too many questions because I'm curious and like to tinker. Also, thanks for the auot-save feature of this forum. I thought a lost this repost, but was able to restore it thanks to this feature.

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Glad we could help and it resolved your problem Well, I don't have a prefect answer for question no. 1 and 3, but ques 2 seems to be pretty strange

Regards.

Bugkiller is offline New Member

Hi Froghammer,

I can give you a clarification for your question no 1. Internet Explorer 11 is mainly designed for the Windows 8 and higher version of the Operating Systems. However, it will get installed in the Windows 7 Operating System also through Windows Updates. The performance of the IE 11 depends on your system configuration like RAM and the processor as well. But, IE 11 freezing is quite a common issue in the Windows 7 OS. So, I suggest you to go ahead and downgrade the IE 11 to IE 10, which will surely work fine without any issues.

Thank you

PcBugKiller Admin
    pcbugkiller@com