RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto C-partition of 2nd HD possible?

Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto C-partition of 2nd HD possible?
    Ok, I have both Acronis True Image [fee] and Macrium Reflect [free]. I understand both can:
    -- clone a whole physical hard-drive onto another whole physical hard-drive
    -- make an image of any HD en toto, or make an image of each partition -- [save image] onto another HD, ext or int.
    I can't find a way to "tell" either program what I wanted to do:
    Clone C-partition of 1st HD onto the C-partition of the 2nd HD. Is there a way to do this, if not with Acronis or Macrium -- what program?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Iīm confused....
    First you say that you understand that those programs can make an image of each partition and save it onto another HD.
    And then you ask how to do it ?
    Do you really understand how to use Macrium Reflect ?

Normally you create a backup of a system (partition), and later you restore the system from the backup by overwriting the same partition.
    The only thing you have to do when cloning is to select which partition you restore the backup to....

But be careful when you clone an O/S to another partition !

You can not just "copy" the system from one partition to another.

I know what can happen....
    Years ago i cloned my main system to another partition.
    When i started testing the cloned system the O/S used the partition where the main system was installed, writing to the registry etc. !
    So i had to restore my main system from a backup.
    It seems that the cloned system "believes" itīs still on the original partition, which will scr*w up the main system !

It is possible to clone an O/S, i have done it, i have a "testsystem" for trying new antimalware-programs etc.
    But you have to hack the registry of the cloned system before you start using it !
    You have to replace all references to the original partition with references to the new partition.

There might be an old post in the forum where i describe how to do it.
    Right now i donīt have time to write detailed instructions....
    Try searching....

hackerman, true, both can make images of HDs or partitions onto another place, internal or external media. What I was wanting to do was:
    FreeFileSync my 1st HD data partition onto my 2nd HD data partition; clone my 1st HD OS partition onto my 2nd HD OS partition; then I immediately Disable 2nd HD via CTL-PNL/Device Manager, it remains parked until reEnabled for another 1stHD onto 2nd HD backup.
    I have booted both HDs one at a time, so the OS works.

Now iīm even more confused...
    In your first post you asked for advice, and now you say that you have already done it ?
    Why did you ask for help then ???

Yes, booting from a cloned system will work.
    But as i said above, using it will scr*w up your main system....

cbbvb is offline Beginner

You can clone it. But it will delete the the C-partition of the 2nd HD beore cloning.

Quote Originally Posted by cbbvb View Post
    You can clone it. But it will delete the the C-partition of the 2nd HD beore cloning.
    Please read my post above: forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-management-support/36861-clone-c-partition-1st-hd-onto-c-partition-2nd-hd-possible.html#post172652

You canīt use driveletters to define where you have installed an operating system,
    because the letter used for a certain partition depends on which system you are using.

The system that you are using is always C unless you have managed to change it.
    Fx. if you start the system on partition 1 then it is C, if you start the system on partition 2 is is also C...
    Each system can "name" the others with whatever letter they want.

So there is no "C-partition of the 2nd HD".....

Partitions are "named" in numerical order on a Windows O/S, the first partitions on a HD is #1, the second is #2 etc.

And if you use fx. Macrium Reflect to restore a backup to a partition, that partition is not deleted, it is overwritten.
    Deleting a partition is not the same as putting something on it....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 23rd June 2015 at 11:23.

hackerman, while your advice is golden!, I have found a way to make a mirror of HD1 onto HD2, then disable HD2 from active duty. I was asking, in a few forums, if there was a better way...and found it. Using much of your advice as things to consider/avoiding the potential pitfalls -- and it worked