tony c is offline New Member

Default Can I restore System Image to a different computer?

My Toshiba windows 7 laptop crashed. I created a system image last month.
    If I purchase another windows 7 computer with basically the same specs, with the system image transfer over to the "new" computer?

Note from Moderator: If someone wonders why this post appears in 2 different threads,
    this thread is cloned from another thread that was starting to get off-topic...
    Last edited by hackerman1; 11th June 2016 at 13:54.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Yes, you should be able to do it.

But, you might get some (minor) problems with fx. drivers for the graphics card if it isnīt the same card in the new computer as in the backup.
    And if you canīt restore the system from the backup you should, depending on which backup-program you have used,
    at least be able to copy your personal files from the backup-image.

Anyway, it doesnīt cost anything to try...
    Last edited by hackerman1; 11th June 2016 at 18:39.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

On identical specs, it should work, but cannot guarantee. If it fails it could be because of Device Drivers or Windows Activation issues - esp for OEM PCs.

See this for more discussions.

JFYI, Microsoft does not support moving System Image to another hardware.

We do not support restoring a system state backup from one computer to a second computer of a different make, model, or hardware configuration. We only provide commercially reasonable efforts to support this process. Even if the source and destination computers seem to be identical makes and models, the source computers may have different drivers, hardware, or firmware than the destination computers.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I am posting below some of the comments made on Facebook about this:

Carroll: I've cloned my drive and used it in other computers, I always have to update the Key to the Computer it's running on. I'm personally a fan of Windows 10.

Tim: I have done it with win 7 , on 775 slot and boards, of different brands and even different core duo cps, but it's a crap shoot, and and the usability is of data recovery state at best. Never lasts more than a few boots. That's my experience with it.