tech is offline New Member

Default Unable to connect to Microsoft Windows Update server

I have been having an ungoing problem connecting to Microsoft update server for about the past 7 months. On average it would take me two days after patch Tuesday of none stop trying to connect to Microsoft update server, but last month it took 7 days. I don't know why it suddenly connected on the 7th day. I have been trying to connect to Microsoft update server today since 10:00 am, and it's now 10:30 pm. I have 3 desktops, and 2 Laptops; none of them will connect to Microsoft update server. The 3 desktops which I built myself have Windows 7 Ultimate on them, and the 2 Laptops have Windows 7 Home Premium (HP, and Sony). None of the 5 computers will connect to Microsoft update server. It says, "checking for updates", but never proceeds any further. It's never able to actually find any updates. I have tried everything I know in order to resolve this problem. I have tried the following below.

1. I had my ISP bring me a new router, but unfortunately they brought me the same Brand & Model Router Combo I was already using (Actiontech GT784WN). The ISP provided me with this Router Combo. I have my own router, but I do not have a DSL Modem so I can't use it to see if it's the Router i'm using that is causing the problem.
    2. I tried settings the router configuration back to default settings.
    3. I have tried rebooting, and unplugging the router. The internet is working fine except for Microsoft update server.
    3. I rolled the Laptops back to factory reset, and each failed to update any further after installing the update for the Microsoft updater itself. That is like the second set of updates available.
    4. I reformat 2 of the 3 Desktops I have using the Windows 7 Ultimate OEM disk which I purchased when I built the computers. The behavior is the same as with the Laptops; Microsoft is unable to connect to the update server after updating the Microsoft update feature itself.
    5. I tried changing my DNS from that of my ISP (TDS) to Google DNS (8.8.8.8, and 8.8.4.4).
    6. I tried flushing the DNS cache by using the following in an elevated command prompt, "ipconfig /flushdns". The dns flush was successful, but did nothing to fix the problem.
    7. I tried deleting the content of the SoftwareDistribution Folder, and that did not help.
    8. I have installed all available hotfixes to resolve update issues.
    9. I've tried changing the update settings, and rebooting. I read that helped some users, but that did not help me.
    10. I tried using Microsoft update fix utility with no luck.

I suspect the problem is either a Microsoft bug which has been ungoing for some time now, or a bug in the firmware for the Router i'm using. I asked my ISP for a link to the latest firmware for the Router, and they refused to assist me even though it's their router. I explained to them that the firmware should be updated for Security reasons at the very least, but my request fell on deaf ears. I located the latest firmware for the exact Brand & Model from the manufacturer's website, but it gives a warning stating it may not work with some ISP's. I have TDS, and the firmware has been modified to that of their own. If I brake the router compatibility then I could get stuck paying for the router, or at the very least I will have not internet at all then.

I have been beta testing Security Software for the past 15 years with various developers so I know how important it is to keep your OS patched. I do not want to use an unpatched OS. I also would like to upgrade some of my machines to Windows 10, and this is the last month I can do it for free. I would appreciate any other advice in trouble shooting this problem. I can't afford to get a DSL modem right now so I would like to eliminate any other possible causes. Also, could a bug with Windows Timezone cause this type of problem? I live in the Eastern timezone here in Kentucky (United States), and it always detects the Pacific time zone after formating. I live in the Eastern Time zone so I always change it to Eastern. The Western Half of Kentucky is in the Pacific, and the Eastern Half where I live is in the Eastern Timezone. I thought i would bring this up in case something small like this could be causing the problem. Does anyone have any other ideal what could be causing the problem? What else can I try to pinpoint the problem? I read that Microsoft update server does not respond to ping request so I have not tried that.

Thanks for any help in advance!

regards,

Mike

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Try this and see if it helps:

Open Internet Explorer > Tools >Internet Options > Security > Click ‘trusted sites’ icon >Click Sites > uncheck ‘Require server verification’.

Then add the following sites :

http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://*.windowsupdate.com
    http://update.microsoft.com
    http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...6/default.aspx

If it helps, good, else remove the entries to come back to old position.

Thank you for your reply HappyAndyK! I tried as you advised, and that did not work. Do you have any other ideals? Btw.. I tried to quote your post, but was unable to since I am not permitted to post URL's yet.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tech View Post
    Thank you for your reply HappyAndyK! I tried as you advised, and that did not work. Do you have any other ideals? Btw.. I tried to quote your post, but was unable to since I am not permitted to post URL's yet.
    Why do you need to quote the previous post ?
    Since there is only one answer to your question it´s obvious what and whom you are replying to.
    And everyone can read the previous post...

If you really need to quote a post containg links, then remove the links from the quote....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 14th July 2016 at 07:31.

Does anyone else have any thought why none of my Windows 7 machines can't connect to Microsoft update server? I've Googled this to death, and nothing I've tried has worked. Maybe Microsoft wants to force everything to upgrade all their machines to Windows 10 I know it's been constant update problems since Windows 10 was released.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    Why do you need to quote the previous post ?
    Since there is only one answer to your question it´s obvious what and whom you are replying to.
    And everyone can read the previous post...

If you really need to quote a post containg links, then remove the links from the quote....
    Your right, no need since there was only one response in this thread.

In this case I do think it is appropriate to quote you, but my attempt to quote you in my first response failed. I can not edit my post yet to add the quote so i'm letting you know before you bring that to my attention.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hi tech, too bad my suggestion did not help you. You seem to have tried almost everything ...

Btw, Windows Update will not install automatically if you are on a metered network, Windows Update will not install automatically even if you have Automatic Update turned on. You will have to to connect to an un-metered connection or public Wi-Fi connection to install the update - if I am not wrong.

Not connecting to Microsoft´s servers and not updating is a wellknown problem nowadays...
    You are not alone tech.

I also had problems a couple of months ago, nothing happened for hours.
    So i left the computer on during the night so it could try to connect to the servers.
    If i remember correctly it took several days just to get the list of available updates, and then 4 days to download and install them...
    Even though it was a fresh installed O/S needing 1.5 years of updates it should not take that long.

At that time i did a search on the web, and found several forums with people having the same problems.
    And yesterday i tried to update a friends computer, with the same result...
    It seems that Microsoft doesn´t want people to use their O/S anymore.
    Perhaps they want us to start using Linux instead...?

And today i have once again tried to update a friends computer, with the same result...
    It has been "searching for updates" for several hours, but nothing happens.
    You are not alone tech....

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    And today i have once again tried to update a friends computer, with the same result...
    It has been "searching for updates" for several hours, but nothing happens.
    You are not alone tech....
    Yep, I have tried for weeks with no luck.