Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WinFried

Thread: Driver for USB WiFi stick

WinFried is offline Beginner

Default Driver for USB WiFi stick

Hello Everyone.

I've been around here for a little while answering a few questions every now and then. But this is actually the first time I'm asking a question myself. And hopefully I can get an answer to my question.

I recently bought a used Dell XPS laptop. I think it is an old XPS 13 L322X from the early 2013. It still runs on Win7. I just use it as a kind of backup notebook and it is alright for what I'm doing, that is some basic text processing, surfing and occasionally watching a movie. Nothing fancy though.

However, lately I have some issues with the built in WiFi card. I don't know how to describe it. It is a bit jerky and it doesn't work properly. Sometimes it just disconnects and I can't get it back into the network. I don't the network is the problem because all other devices work fine.

This is pretty annoying. But I still have an old USB WiFi stick, which I bought a few years back. It's a D-Link DWA-123 Revision D1 F/W 4.0. I don't have the original driver anymore. And that basically is my problem. I can't figure out how to set it up on Win7. The automatic detection does not work and I can't find a proper driver.

So I was hoping that I can find a solution here. Anybody has an idea where to get the right driver? Or is there a workaround?
    Any support would be greatly appreciated.

WF.

Any idea? Anybody?

Holly is offline New Member

Hmm... did you check if your device drivers are up-to-date?

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Hmm... did you check if your device drivers are up-to-date?
    YEP. They are. I'm afraid the HW is just to old and not supported anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WinFried View Post
    Hello Everyone.

I've been around here for a little while answering a few questions every now and then. But this is actually the first time I'm asking a question myself. And hopefully I can get an answer to my question.

I recently bought a used Dell XPS laptop of the great website for classified adds https://www.for-sale.ie/dell-xps-13. I think it is an old XPS 13 L322X from the early 2013. It still runs on Win7. I just use it as a kind of backup notebook and it is alright for what I'm doing, that is some basic text processing, surfing and occasionally watching a movie. Nothing fancy though.

However, lately I have some issues with the built in WiFi card. I don't know how to describe it. It is a bit jerky and it doesn't work properly. Sometimes it just disconnects and I can't get it back into the network. I don't the network is the problem because all other devices work fine.

This is pretty annoying. But I still have an old USB WiFi stick, which I bought a few years back. It's a D-Link DWA-123 Revision D1 F/W 4.0. I don't have the original driver anymore. And that basically is my problem. I can't figure out how to set it up on Win7. The automatic detection does not work and I can't find a proper driver.

So I was hoping that I can find a solution here. Anybody has an idea where to get the right driver? Or is there a workaround?
    Any support would be greatly appreciated.

WF.
    I finally found a driver here. But unfortunately it doesn't work properly. It is for the FW version 4.03. My stick is 4.00. So I guess this device is just to old and I can't use it anymore. Too bad. So I have to get a new one.
    Last edited by WinFried; 21st June 2017 at 05:18.
    HappyAndyK likes this.