coffeehawk is offline New Member

Default Bittorrent uninstalled, now PC won't boot, unless F2 or F8 is used

I am not a torrent user but I have tried BitTorrent twice. Each time after a clean uninstall the HP Envy Windows7 laptop will not boot up and gives a beep code. Using F2 or F8 will get me in however. I do not recall which beep code it is.

The first time this happened (different laptop) was many years ago and by googling it and trying a few things the issue was fixed. It was relatively simple but I don't trust any of the vague memories I have on what the general issue was - PC was looking for a non-existent drive, IPv4/6 setting......maybe but could be something totally different.

Any ideas? I've run chkdsk and every memory/disc/system test from the BIOS and F2 or F8 screens. I've done 3 different system restores from dates before the bittorrent installation.

It is continuous beeps, no code that I can hear, 19 before the boot restarts.

also, no other changes were made to the PC between installing and uninstalling bittorrent - 3 days.

lol, I can't edit posts yet

DeborahJ is offline Windows Enthusiast

Looks like some BIOS issue. Check what the system beep means What do System Beeps mean? See chart! See if a BIOS update helps.

While a search of C: yields nothing, nor does any type of anti-virus program, I did find this in the ntbtlog boot log: Loaded driver \??\C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\rikvm_38F51D56.sys

I know rikvm is a virus that affects system files. Does it launch once and disappear, or is it still hidden somewhere?

The beeps are continuous so no specific meaning other than a system/boot issue.

I was mislead, rikvm is part of the Cybertools suite.

I reinstalled and updated the bios, I reloaded windows........still get constant beeps as soon as boot-up starts.

On HP bios' this could mean a H/W issue, which I am not ruling out, except I reset the memory, verified keyboard and other functionality, and there are no issues running anything on the PC.

What I hear as soon as boot starts, it's like the HDD parks itself. We're all used to the sounds made at boot up, and this is definitely different action, and its also what happened 7-ish years ago when i uninstalled BT on a different PC. That time, just shotgunning solutions eventually made it OK. However, I don't know if the HDD behavior is because of an unrelated error or because of a command left over by BT or even a setting I made in BT. I have a RAID-0 drive, 2x500gb.

Any ideas on how to investigate the HDD?