Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ov3rminD

Thread: Weird Windows 8 drag and drop problem - can't drag and drop files or folders

TeXaCo is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Weird Windows 8 drag and drop problem - can't drag and drop files or folders

For some unknown reason, every day or so, I find that I can't drag and drop files to other folders or emails or anything for that matter. A simple restart fixes the problem but it's getting kind of annoying to have to restart just to drag and drop.

Has anybody heard of this problem in windows 8 or know how to fix it. I did google it but trying to find a single issue problem and using the words windows 8 comes up with 8 million things other than what your looking for.

I am running the windows 8 release preview build 8400 I believe it is.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I have not come across this issue on Windows 8. maybe someone else has.

Does this help you by any chance? Drag and Drop not working in Windows 7 explorer

ferret is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    I have not come across this issue on Windows 8. maybe someone else has.
    I get the same problem. It's the final straw for me. I've put up with all the bullsh** Windows 8 has thrown at me for no good reason but not being able to drag and drop files from Explorer onto applications is ridiculous. I've tried various combinations of:

* making Explorer run as administrator
    * making the drop target application run as administrator
    * turning UAC down
    * disabling UAC entirely in registry
    * making the user an administrator
    * taking ownership of all folders involved

note there is NO "start menu" click and drag option which keeps being thrown around as a solution to this problem.

Honestly, if I met the halfwit from Microsoft responsible for making 'security' decisions like this, I'd stab them in the face repeatedly.

ferret is offline New Member

...and I've been running RTM for about a month. Not running a preview/RC/etc release.

jayz1220 is offline New Member

Lightbulb Solution: hit Escape

Quote Originally Posted by TeXaCo View Post
    For some unknown reason, every day or so, I find that I can't drag and drop files to other folders or emails or anything for that matter. A simple restart fixes the problem but it's getting kind of annoying to have to restart just to drag and drop.

Has anybody heard of this problem in windows 8 or know how to fix it. I did google it but trying to find a single issue problem and using the words windows 8 comes up with 8 million things other than what your looking for.

I am running the windows 8 release preview build 8400 I believe it is.
    I had the same problem, tried closing anything related to mouse input down (Logitech software, mouse without boarders). Eventually found the solution in a forum post about windows 7. It has something to do with another application locking the function out. Anyway, hitting escape seems to return the functionality back for me. Try it and let us know if it solves your issue.

Regards,

Ov3rminD is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayz1220 View Post
    I had the same problem, tried closing anything related to mouse input down (Logitech software, mouse without boarders). Eventually found the solution in a forum post about windows 7. It has something to do with another application locking the function out. Anyway, hitting escape seems to return the functionality back for me. Try it and let us know if it solves your issue.

Regards,
    I came to this forum for the same problem and it turns out that this solution works 100%
    I joined this forum just to say thank you!
    HappyAndyK and whs like this.

Slippic is offline New Member

Works for me too !

Thanks