Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Arun Kumar's Avatar
    Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    54

    Cool Advantages of Windows 8 Over Windows 7

    Hi All,

    So far, I have written only bad about Windows 8. Probably because I was not used to the change it brought in. I start this thread to record what all improvements Windows 8 brings in over the previous versions of Windows 8. Among the major advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7 are:

    1. Quick Boot: This is a feature I love. Instead of turning on the computer and waiting for it to boot for long, I now get to the Start screen within 10 seconds. That is on a Celeron powered notebook!!!

    2. Shutdown: It seems as quick as pressing the POWER button in old 8086 machines running MS-DOS (Remember them?)

    3. Boot to Internet ready Interface: Unlike Windows 7 that shows desktop while still loading drivers for Internet, I can fire Internet as soon as I get to the start screen. No waiting here as well.

    4. Navigation: Strange enough, I am not missing the Start menu nor the Start screen. Scrolling using the mouse wheel is fun. It is a different matter that I removed all unnecessary apps to make it a smaller scroll.

    Will keep you updated as I get comfortable with the new operating system. Let us see what all advantages of Windows 8 you found over Windows 7.
    Last edited by Arun Kumar; 08-21-2012 at 06:57 PM.

  2. #2
    whs's Avatar
    whs
    whs is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    Speed is definitely an argument when you are on slow hardware. But when you are on a powerful system with an SSD for the OS, the speed difference is minimal.

  3. #3
    DustinH's Avatar
    DustinH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boardman, OR
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Speed is definitely an argument when you are on slow hardware. But when you are on a powerful system with an SSD for the OS, the speed difference is minimal.
    I've still found that Win8 is faster on an SSD than Win7. Noticeably faster.

    The new interface takes some getting used to. My first impressions were negative, even though I love it on the phone.

  4. #4
    HappyAndyK's Avatar
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,219

    Default

    Speed matters. I am finding Windows 8 much faster to boot, shutdown, resume from hibernate and navigate.

    Love many of the apps. The Mail app is poor imo, however, so use Windows Live Mail.

    I like that Microsoft removed window transparency. Windows look much focused now.

    Since one doesn't need to install 3rd party security software - it feels good. Hope Windows Defender and Windows Firewall do a god job at protecting the PC!

    The start screen irritated me in the beginning, but I have got used to it. It no longer gets in my way.

    I use this tip to boot directly to the desktop mode, natively.

    The only tool I have felt the need for and installed is HotShut, as it lets me restart/shutdown quickly.

  5. #5
    Kapil Arya's Avatar
    Kapil Arya is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arun Kumar View Post
    Hi All,

    So far, I have written only bad about Windows 8. Probably because I was not used to the change it brought in. I start this thread to record what all improvements Windows 8 brings in over the previous versions of Windows 8. Among the major advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7 are:

    1. Quick Boot: This is a feature I love. Instead of turning on the computer and waiting for it to boot for long, I now get to the Start screen within 10 seconds. That is on a Celeron powered notebook!!!

    2. Shutdown: It seems as quick as pressing the POWER button in old 8086 machines running MS-DOS (Remember them?)

    3. Boot to Internet ready Interface: Unlike Windows 7 that shows desktop while still loading drivers for Internet, I can fire Internet as soon as I get to the start screen. No waiting here as well.

    4. Navigation: Strange enough, I am not missing the Start menu nor the Start screen. Scrolling using the mouse wheel is fun. It is a different matter that I removed all unnecessary apps to make it a smaller scroll.

    Will keep you updated as I get comfortable with the new operating system. Let us see what all advantages of Windows 8 you found over Windows 7.
    LOL, How do you missed the installation time? Only 10 Mins.

  6. #6
    markadolf's Avatar
    markadolf is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5

    Default

    yeah...............i was working in win8 till 1 month....really it's so fast and good according to other old win operating system.........good wrk win 8

  7. #7
    larryfinch is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    According to me, windows 8 is no different than windows 7, it is actually built on top of windows 7

  8. #8
    Westiin is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arun Kumar View Post
    Hi All,

    So far, I have written only bad about Windows 8. Probably because I was not used to the change it brought in. I start this thread to record what all improvements Windows 8 brings in over the previous versions of Windows 8. Among the major advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7 are:

    1. Quick Boot: This is a feature I love. Instead of turning on the computer and waiting for it to boot for long, I now get to the Start screen within 10 seconds. That is on a Celeron powered notebook!!!

    2. Shutdown: It seems as quick as pressing the POWER button in old 8086 machines running MS-DOS (Remember them?)

    3. Boot to Internet ready Interface: Unlike Windows 7 that shows desktop while still loading drivers for Internet, I can fire Internet as soon as I get to the start screen. No waiting here as well.

    4. Navigation: Strange enough, I am not missing the Start menu nor the Start screen. Scrolling using the mouse wheel is fun. It is a different matter that I removed all unnecessary apps to make it a smaller scroll.

    Will keep you updated as I get comfortable with the new operating system. Let us see what all advantages of URL SNIPPED SINCE I AM NOT ALLOWED TO POST THEM YET you found over Windows 7.
    1. Since installing my SSD drive in Windows 7 it doesn't take anymore time to boot than it does now that I've installed Windows 8 for me.
    2. Shutdown does indeed seem quicker in Windows 8 over when I was running Windows 7, although I have to ponder why I would even care since if I'm shutting down, I'm selecting to shutdown the computer and going to walk away anyway, so don't really care how long it takes to shut down.
    3. Hmm, I don't notice any difference here, in Windows 7 when I get to my desktop I immediately fire up Chrome or Internet Explorer and am on the internet, no waiting here, never has been as long as I can remember.
    4. Totally disagree. I find the new Metro start menu an abomination and the all apps screen a jumbled mess when you have a lot of programs on your computer with the way that the all apps screen lists every single item from inside of the old start menu instead of only listing actual programs or applications only. So my all apps screen is filled with categories that are filled with not only the actual programs but any documentation files that the programs decided to install into the start menu back in Windows 7. Not really important though since I am and will always use a start menu replacement as long as Microsoft doesn't feel the need to supply the more traditional and easily accessible and organized traditional start menu.

  9. #9
    erikkin is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    These are all very true. The best feature is the quick boot of computer which saves the time to perform. There is no doubt about the fact that windows 8 is much more advantageous over windows 7.

  10. #10
    Arun Kumar's Avatar
    Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westiin View Post
    4. Totally disagree. I find the new Metro start menu an abomination and the all apps screen a jumbled mess when you have a lot of programs on your computer with the way that the all apps screen lists every single item from inside of the old start menu instead of only listing actual programs or applications only. So my all apps screen is filled with categories that are filled with not only the actual programs but any documentation files that the programs decided to install into the start menu back in Windows 7. Not really important though since I am and will always use a start menu replacement as long as Microsoft doesn't feel the need to supply the more traditional and easily accessible and organized traditional start menu.
    It is okay to disagree. Everyone has his/her own views. Windows Start Menu was good but if you miss it, you can always install third party programs for getting back the Start menu. I guess you are using one of those replacements. In my case, I removed all the unwanted tiles so it is less congested. Though I would have wanted MS to name it something else like Tiles 1.0 or even Tiles Mobile OS instead of Windows as there are no more windows (at least, I wont call those elements windows).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19