Results 1 to 10 of 13
- 08-21-2012, 07:54 PM #1
Advantages of Windows 8 Over Windows 7
So far, I have written only bad about Windows 8. Probably because I was not used to the change it brought in. I start this thread to record what all improvements Windows 8 brings in over the previous versions of Windows 8. Among the major advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7 are:
1. Quick Boot: This is a feature I love. Instead of turning on the computer and waiting for it to boot for long, I now get to the Start screen within 10 seconds. That is on a Celeron powered notebook!!!
2. Shutdown: It seems as quick as pressing the POWER button in old 8086 machines running MS-DOS (Remember them?)
3. Boot to Internet ready Interface: Unlike Windows 7 that shows desktop while still loading drivers for Internet, I can fire Internet as soon as I get to the start screen. No waiting here as well.
4. Navigation: Strange enough, I am not missing the Start menu nor the Start screen. Scrolling using the mouse wheel is fun. It is a different matter that I removed all unnecessary apps to make it a smaller scroll.
Will keep you updated as I get comfortable with the new operating system. Let us see what all advantages of Windows 8 you found over Windows 7.
Last edited by Arun Kumar; 08-21-2012 at 07:57 PM.
- 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM #2
Speed is definitely an argument when you are on slow hardware. But when you are on a powerful system with an SSD for the OS, the speed difference is minimal.
- 08-21-2012, 10:50 PM #3
- 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM #4
Speed matters. I am finding Windows 8 much faster to boot, shutdown, resume from hibernate and navigate.
Love many of the apps. The Mail app is poor imo, however, so use Windows Live Mail.
I like that Microsoft removed window transparency. Windows look much focused now.
Since one doesn't need to install 3rd party security software - it feels good. Hope Windows Defender and Windows Firewall do a god job at protecting the PC!
The start screen irritated me in the beginning, but I have got used to it. It no longer gets in my way.
I use this tip to boot directly to the desktop mode, natively.
The only tool I have felt the need for and installed is HotShut, as it lets me restart/shutdown quickly.
- 09-01-2012, 10:46 AM #5
- 09-02-2012, 08:23 AM #6
yeah...............i was working in win8 till 1 month....really it's so fast and good according to other old win operating system.........good wrk win 8
- 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM #7New Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2012
According to me, windows 8 is no different than windows 7, it is actually built on top of windows 7
- 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM #8New Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2012
2. Shutdown does indeed seem quicker in Windows 8 over when I was running Windows 7, although I have to ponder why I would even care since if I'm shutting down, I'm selecting to shutdown the computer and going to walk away anyway, so don't really care how long it takes to shut down.
3. Hmm, I don't notice any difference here, in Windows 7 when I get to my desktop I immediately fire up Chrome or Internet Explorer and am on the internet, no waiting here, never has been as long as I can remember.
4. Totally disagree. I find the new Metro start menu an abomination and the all apps screen a jumbled mess when you have a lot of programs on your computer with the way that the all apps screen lists every single item from inside of the old start menu instead of only listing actual programs or applications only. So my all apps screen is filled with categories that are filled with not only the actual programs but any documentation files that the programs decided to install into the start menu back in Windows 7. Not really important though since I am and will always use a start menu replacement as long as Microsoft doesn't feel the need to supply the more traditional and easily accessible and organized traditional start menu.
- 11-09-2012, 04:34 AM #9New Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2012
These are all very true. The best feature is the quick boot of computer which saves the time to perform. There is no doubt about the fact that windows 8 is much more advantageous over windows 7.
- 11-09-2012, 06:31 AM #10