Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Angry Disadvantages of Windows 8 Over Windows 7

Yesterday I posted about Advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7. Here is another thread on Windows 8, this time to list down the disadvantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7. Not many at this point as I am yet to discover what all is happening behind the scenes. My concern has always been safety and privacy. So much so that I regularly run online scans to see if there are any keyloggers. I use the on-screen keyboard in Windows to use my bank account (unfortunately, my bank does not provide one). It might be an obsession but keeps my mind at peace.

1. It was tough to decide whether to use the default antimalware in Windows 8 or to install 3rd party antivirus. I do trust the abilities of Windows Firewall from Vista itself so there is no problem there. But then, is the default antivirus good enough? I have not yet installed any anti-virus on Windows 8 as I am still looking for a detailed literature that explains how it works. If you know of any resource, please let me know.

2. Media Player: What is this thing? What happened to the default codecs? Where are all the options present in the good old WMP? Are they hidden or completely done away with? No DVD support is understandable. I can use VLC player in case I need to play a DVD but then, what if I wish to rip a DVD into WMV format? One option is to install a video converter and convert from DVD. On Win7, I use AnyVideo Convertor. For some reason, it won't install on Windows 8. Did anyone else face similar problem?

3. Privacy: If you were not alert during installing Windows 8, you end up granting location access to many of the Windows 8 apps. So even if IE is really not allowing websites to track you down, other apps are giving away your location information freely. It took a good deal of exercise to figure out how to turn off location access to Windows 8 apps. Go to Change PC Settings and from there, move the slider to turn off location access completely.

There is a lot more coming up. Will keep you posted about the good in Advantages thread and the bad in the disadvantages thread.

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

Happy with the performance of Windows 8 on my main machine, went ahead and installed it on another machine with 1.5GB RAM on 1.6MHz processor. Guess what? Uninstalled it and went back to Windows 7. Also, removed Office 2013 from Windows 7 on that machine. Reason: <xyz> not responding... Click a menu and wait for minutes before the drop down list appears.

Microsoft said any machine capable of running Windows 7 will run Windows 8 conveniently. No, it won't. Dear Microsoft, you are wrong!

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arun Kumar View Post
    Microsoft said any machine capable of running Windows 7 will run Windows 8 conveniently. No, it won't. Dear Microsoft, you are wrong!
    It runs decent on a 2.0 GHz single core/1.0 GB RAM machine. No crashes, very usable. Definitely not as fast as a much better machine, but not bad at all. Sure, I'm running 400 MHz faster, but it's not enough to make a huge difference.

Mayank is offline New Member

Default Cache Memory Problem in Window 8

I installed window 8 in my PC. but i found its assembling huge cache memory, Every time i need to clean my pc using 'prefetch' and '%temp%'. if you wont clean it would be big problem for your main drive (C it will autometically full.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

After testing Windows 8 for nearly one year I decided not to get it at this time. I don't think it is ready for prime time on the desktop - and the tablet versions are far too expensive. Got a $230 Nexus with 32GB instead. Splendid little machine.

DominicW is offline Beginner

I agree about the media player. However, on the plus side I do enjoy the performance increase of Win8

oldtiredon is offline New Member

With some patience windows 8 is fast and reliable. The problem with media player is resolved with downloading the free VLC player which is excellent. For security with Bank details etc download Rapport which again is free. Finally to get the best of both worlds of Windows 8 if you are familiar with previous windows versions down load Stardock utility windows 8 starup. This program allows you to startup win 8 in the familiar way with start button which display the usual screens then to get use to the Win 8 new screen you can toggle between the 2 by presng windows button . Great. This must be the fastest starting and closing edition of windows I have ever used.