truud2 is offline New Member

Question Windows 8 trial won't install due to missing CD/DVD device driver?

Hi,

I thought I'd take a peek at Windows 8 and so downloaded the trial version .iso But Windows 8 won't install on my machine. The installer stops with a strange error message about missing CD/DVD device driver, which doesn't make much sense since the message is issued by the setup program running off the installation DVD that I burned from the Windows 8 trial .iso - So it seems I have to forget about upgrading to Win 8 from Vista Ultimate x64. That is no tragedy since the Vista runs smoothly and is problem free.

But the error is strange, nevertheless. What can the reason be?

The machine is configured as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Socket-AM3 (3-Way NVIDIA® SLI™/AMD CrossFireX™Technology)
    UEFI (GPT/GUID) BIOS "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface".
    CPU AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor, 3210 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 0705, 22.08.2011
    Disk1 Western Digital 1.5 TB Green 3.5". Model: WDC WD15 EARS-22MVWB0 SATA
    Disk2 Western Digital 1.5 TB Green 3.5'. Model: WDC WD15 EARS-22MVWB0 SATA
    Disk3 Western Digital 1.5 TB Green 3.5'. Model: WDC WD15 EARS-22MVWB0 SATA
    RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR31600MHz CL9
    dvd1 LiteOn Blu-ray burner/player SATA Bulk ATAPI iHBS112 2 SATA Device
    dvd2 LiteOn Blu-ray burner/player SATA Bulk ATAPI iHBS112 2 SATA Device

Regards
    Trond Ruud,
    Norway

PS
    Also my old (2007) x64 Mandriva Linux installed smoothly without any problems, so there's obviously nothing seriously wrong with the dvd players or bios.
    DS
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 4th November 2012 at 04:55. Reason: Windows 8

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I have run into this a few times and it turned out to be a bad download or iso burn. Try re-downloading and burning again, maybe even burn it on a different machine.

Quote Originally Posted by roraniel View Post
    I have run into this a few times and it turned out to be a bad download or iso burn. Try re-downloading and burning again, maybe even burn it on a different machine.
    Hi,
    I reburned the .iso to a new dvd, but that changed nothing. The installer program still starts and runs smoothly off the dvd just like before, and when I click on "Install" the same strange error message about missing dvd device driver reappears and Win 8 setup stops. I.E. the dvd works faultlessly as long as I don't try to install Windows 8. There are no problems running the other options like "Repair". except thatthere is no Win 8 to repair yet, of course. The conclusion is, it seems to be nothing at all wrong with neither the dvd player nor the burned image on the disk, nor the machine's ability to execute the image on the dvd. So I must conclude that it must be the Windows 8 installer that simply is unable to run on my machine. So I'll just forget about Win 8 and stick to Vista. Anyway thanks for your suggestions, roraniel.
    PS
    Searching for "windows 8 setup stops because of missing dvd device driver" with Bing gave an avalanche of hits for both Win 7 and Win 8, so the preoblem seems to be "universal." There must be a common bug in the Win 7 and 8 installers in other words. Or could it be the same perverted problem as with XP, that the installer won't work if another Windows version (Vista) is found on the harddisk?
    DS

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Ensure that all your drivers are up-to-date. Next change the BIOS boot order in your computer and see if that help. Maybe you could set the optical drive as the first boot device.

Thanks HappyAndyK,
    The computer boots off the Win 8 installation DVD OK. That's never been a problem. It is only when the setup program starts and I click on "Install" that it complains about a missing DVD device driver. And regarding driver update in general, I regularly run the DriverBoost utility, which assures me that my computer is up to date in Vista x64,driverwise (but the drivers in my existing Windows Vista is irrelevant when installing a new OS, of course. Since then all required drivers must be on the installation dvd for the installation to work (the installer doesn't use the drivers in the installed vista OS unless started in Vista. I even tried that, but then the installer kicked me out complaining that the Win 8 trial dvd wasn't an update version") And as I wrote before. My old (2007) x64 Mandriva Linux installed without a hitch right off the installation dvd, so this seems to me to be a Windows 8 installation dvd problem and not related to my hardware in any conceivable way. And as I wrote earlier: <<Googling for the "windows 8 setup stops because of missing dvd device driver" error yields an avalanche (9.290.000 to be precise!) of hits for both Win 7 and Win 8>>, so the problem seems to be a "universal" Windows installation problem. There must be a common bug in the Win 7 and 8 installers in other words. Or could it be the same perverted problem as with XP, that the Windows' installer was programmed to refuse to work if another OS was present on the harddisk? But it's not a problem really. I'll just stick to Windows Vista and my old 2007 Mandriva Linux, both of which work fine for all purposes, and forget about Windows 8. Still, the installation problem is a strange one, unless intentional? But why should that be?
    Last edited by truud2; 5th November 2012 at 10:23.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

The matter is strange indeed. I would put the Win8 .iso on a USB stick and work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The matter is strange indeed. I would put the Win8 .iso on a USB stick and work from there.
    Good idea WHS,
    That should work provided that the problem really is with the dvd device driver. I copied the entire Win8 installation dvd over to my 32gb Corsair USB flash drive with the WinToFlash utility. And tried to run the installation from the Corsair flash drive. To my amazement the setup program still stops with excactly the same "missing CD/DVD device driver" message! Which I guess proves beyond doubt, that this is a problem with the setup program and has nothing whatever to do with a missing cd/dvd device driver. Which I must admit is just what I suspected from the very beginning, since the computer after all boots off the Win8 installation dvd in the dvd player in a "normal way" for a bootable dvd, and the Win8 setup program that issues the "missing dvd device driver" error message starts and runs with a choice of "repair" or install" without problems The problem only manifests itself through a totally misleading error message after the setup program starts. It cannot then logically be a problem with the dvd player or its device driver, since then the setup program prompting me to choose repair or install wouldn't be able to run off the dvd either. So I give up on Windows 8.

Thanks for all help and suggestions
    Regards
    Trond Ruud
    Norway
    Last edited by truud2; 6th November 2012 at 10:57.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

This is too bad. I am completely puzzled. I can only imagine that the .iso got messed up - during the download (since you already tried reburning it).

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I meant that the download itself could be bad or just the iso burn. Have you tried to download it again? Also trying to burn it on a different burner could help.

Quote Originally Posted by truud2 View Post
    Hi,
    I reburned the .iso to a new dvd, but that changed nothing. The installer program still starts and runs smoothly off the dvd just like before, and when I click on "Install" the same strange error message about missing dvd device driver reappears and Win 8 setup stops. I.E. the dvd works faultlessly as long as I don't try to install Windows 8. There are no problems running the other options like "Repair". except thatthere is no Win 8 to repair yet, of course. The conclusion is, it seems to be nothing at all wrong with neither the dvd player nor the burned image on the disk, nor the machine's ability to execute the image on the dvd. So I must conclude that it must be the Windows 8 installer that simply is unable to run on my machine. So I'll just forget about Win 8 and stick to Vista. Anyway thanks for your suggestions, roraniel.
    PS
    Searching for "windows 8 setup stops because of missing dvd device driver" with Bing gave an avalanche of hits for both Win 7 and Win 8, so the preoblem seems to be "universal." There must be a common bug in the Win 7 and 8 installers in other words. Or could it be the same perverted problem as with XP, that the installer won't work if another Windows version (Vista) is found on the harddisk?
    DS

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Seems like couple of users had this issue caused by bad ISO image. See if you can re-download it and burn it to a USB or DVD. Check the SHA1 hash and compare it with Microsoft's download page.