25th February 2013, 15:47 #1
How to customize the default profile in Windows 8?
Greetings everyone. This is my first post however, I do use this site for information and research....great site by the way!
Here's my scenario:
I have created an Windows 8 Professional image on a Dell XPS 12 and have everything configured. I'm ready to customize my Default user profile. I have created and imaged several Windows 7 PC's without any issue using the method below.
Steps to customize Default profile:
1. Log in as an administrator with another account (not the built in administrator account).
2. Double click the Users file (c:\users) and select show hidden files.
3. Right click on the Default hidden folder and rename to Default Back.
4. Make a copy of the profile that you want to customize (c:\users\joe)
5. Rename the copy of joe to Default.
6. Got to Advanced system settings and delete original joe profile.
7. Run sysprep.
Everything works with the exception of the Metro tiles. After you copy the original profile and rename it to Default, the Metro tiles stop working. You cannot open any of the built in Metro apps such as IE, Mail, Calendar, Messenger, etc... In addition, you cannot reinstall them. My screen resolution is set to the appropriate level and UAC is turned on. I have searched the web for the last week and haven't found any documentation for this issue.
Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?
Thanks in advance,
26th February 2013, 05:39 #2
Please go through this document How to Customize the Default User Profile by Using CopyProfile Applies To: Windows 8, Windows Server 2012