Brilbroede is offline New Member

Angry Problem Sharing folder on Windows 8

Hi,

I want to share a folder on my Win station at home (Win8 Pro) so that my HP MFP can drop scanner documents in that folder. With Win7 that worked fine.

What I did so far onmy Win8 :

- add a user scanner
    - give that user scanner NTFS full rights on the scanner folder
    - share the scanner folder as 'scanner'
    - give the scanner user full rights on the share

It does not work. Even worse when I try to access \\computername\scanner from my computer itself I get a error "windows cannot acces \\... you do not have permission to acces ..."

Tried disabling firewall, did not change anything.

Googling learned me that you can turn sharing on/off on the network adapter by right-click on network icon that appears when hoovering to the right of the screen en choosing setting. That 'turn sharing on/off' option (or any option) do not appear when right-clicking.

I have the windowsphone sdk installed, and so there is a hyper-V layer installed on top of my nic. I checked all nic's. Sharing is enabled on the nic.

any further suggestions ?

rgds

j

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hi there!

When you say full rights I assume you have given Everyone permission to the scanner folder. Sometime if the Windows login password is blank you might get this error message. Also under Network & Sharing center try to reduce the security i.e. Enable Public Folder Sharing, File Sharing Connection use 40 or 56 encryptions, Turn off Password protected sharing. Also it's always best to check the basics Connect two computers using a crossover cable