chris0917 is offline New Member

Question Windows 8 Music app didn't show my MP3

These days I encountered a weird problem with Music & Video apps on Windows 8. To my understanding, either app should be able to distinguish and show all my music/video files within the corresponding library. But I didn't see anything, unfortunately, and the apps only show things I got from Xbox store. I already tried to uninstall and re-install the apps and it didn't help. Anyone got any idea about the issue? Thanks in advance.

vasudev is offline Moderator

Hi Chris0917, Was the Music app showing your MP3s earlier? And I hope you have your MP3s and Videos already in Music and Video libraries respectively.
    Anyway, first please try this as many new Windows 8 user face this. When you open Music app, you are shown the XBox music, just right click and you get the App bar at the bottom of screen, there you have Open file, there you'll be shown your all Music files, you can go up, browse , select the folder,file etc . Try this.
    Another way to access this is, when you open Music app & are provided with Xbox music, just use the scroll bar at bottom of screen & scroll it left , and there it'll show My music and all your albums from the Music Library.

Please try this basic thing. Also add some Music files to the Music Library manually by going to desktop and see if it appears.Else create a new directory , add some music and add it to library & see if it appears. Also I'm hoping your Music is directly in Music Library. Else you'll have to add it to Library by going to your Desktop from there accessing Library, Music, Right click Properties >Add

If this is not the case the we might have to look at Music Library. Add it to Index, or delete the Music Library and create a new one. or look at the permissions
    So please try these first, let us know. Thanks!

Thanks vasudev for your reply.

Access and open files with Music/Video apps is not a problem, but the funny thing is that the apps show nothing local despite the fact that I opened them within the apps and also put them inside the library folders. And yes, I already tried to add a new folder and mp3 files directly to the Music library. Unfortunately, the app still kept ignoring them.

I'm wondering how to add the library to Index, though. Thanks again for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by vasudev View Post
    Hi Chris0917, Was the Music app showing your MP3s earlier? And I hope you have your MP3s and Videos already in Music and Video libraries respectively.
    Anyway, first please try this as many new Windows 8 user face this. When you open Music app, you are shown the XBox music, just right click and you get the App bar at the bottom of screen, there you have Open file, there you'll be shown your all Music files, you can go up, browse , select the folder,file etc . Try this.
    Another way to access this is, when you open Music app & are provided with Xbox music, just use the scroll bar at bottom of screen & scroll it left , and there it'll show My music and all your albums from the Music Library.

Please try this basic thing. Also add some Music files to the Music Library manually by going to desktop and see if it appears.Else create a new directory , add some music and add it to library & see if it appears. Also I'm hoping your Music is directly in Music Library. Else you'll have to add it to Library by going to your Desktop from there accessing Library, Music, Right click Properties >Add

If this is not the case the we might have to look at Music Library. Add it to Index, or delete the Music Library and create a new one. or look at the permissions
    So please try these first, let us know. Thanks!

Ok, you can try these -
    From the Desktop, Open Explorer , Open the library whcih is giving the problem and from top menu Library tools >Manage >Manage Library , Select the folders and Remove them (You can note down the path before removing, if you don't know where they are) btw where are your Music files? Are they on C drive that is where OS installed or some other?
    And Again Add them .
    & see if they appear.

You can also try ,Open the Charms bar >Search , Select Settings , type index in search pane and when results listed , click on Indexing Option to open Indexing Option Window, Clcik on Modify and add the Music locations by ticking them if they are not or adding the locations.

And see if it solves your problem
    I hope all your apps are updated , if not update them from Store.

Thanks vasudev, again.

However, I still have no luck there for the issue, even though I already confirmed that the folders of interest were well ticked.

And as you reminded, I did have all my library folders on a partition other than OS partition. Will this cause any trouble for the app in recognizing media files? Thanks in advance.

OK, so your folders are on non-OS drive.
    Just try creating a folder in your OS drive under Music, copy a folder having Music & check if it works. This is just for checking.

For your present folders in other drive, make sure those folder have the System permission.
    To add System permission, if those are not having -
    Select Folder >Properties >Security tab and see if the System is listed under 'Group or User names' . If its not clcik Edit > clcik Add >Enter System in the box and click on Check Names.
    Choose System and clcik OK for all the opened boxes. And Rebuild the Index.
    Try this.

The Windows 8 Music App got updated today, update your Music App.

MiguelM is offline New Member

Same happened to me. In my case my music folders were in another partition and even though they were ilncluded on the music library the App coulndt recognize it. Solved it by using symbolic links (simlinks).