HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 RTM: Computer started using Windows installation med

I wanted to upgrade Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 RTM.

I downloaded the ISO file from the MSDN site. I right-clicked and selected Mount to open the files in Explorer.

I clicked on Setup to start the upgrade process. After entering the serial key, etc, I reached the following screen, which allowed me to Keep personal files only or Nothing.

I was not offered the option to keep installed applications and settings.

So I burned the ISO image to DVD. I made sure that my PC was set to first boot from DVD/CD/etc.

I then installed the Installation DVD and rebooted. My PC booted using the DVD.

After entering the serial key, etc, I reached the following screen, which allowed me to Upgrade Windows, keeping files, settings and applications intact.

Selecting the Upgrade Windows option, to me took the following screen, which mentioned the following message:

The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade.

I exited the installation and booted into my Windows 8 Pro RTM.

I also tried running the setup from the DVD by right-clicking > Open > Setup. But nothing helped.

I have not been able to find any Microsoft resources on how to upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 RTM keeping files, settings, installed applications intact. I have tried these suggestions at Microsoft Answers, but it did not help. I was still offered the Keep personal files only or Nothing option.

Is this at all possible? Or will I have to wait for 18th Oct for the Windows Store release? Or am I missing something?
    Attached Images Attached Images