Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Digerati

Thread: Good cleaning programs for windows 8/8.1

proudtexan is offline New Member

Default Good cleaning programs for windows 8/8.1

i was wondering is there any cleaning programs for windows 8/8.1. That will not mess the system up and registry

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

You did not say what type of cleaning program. For malware or just clutter?

For malware, W8 includes a new version of Windows Defender which is quite capable of keeping your system free of malware though with any primary anti-malware solution, I recommend supplemental scanning with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM). Also, and again with any anti-malware solution, you must keep Windows current too. Avast is a recommended alternative if you prefer to use something other than Windows Defender (MSE in W7).

For clutter, I recommend purging the hard drives with Windows 8 Disk Cleanup already on your system. Alternatively, if not low on disk space, you can use CCleaner (select CCleaner Slim version for no toolbar option). With CCleaner, before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours is unchecked. And before using any of these options, know your site credentials (user names and passwords) for sites you frequent before cleaning as you will have to login again at next visit. I do not recommend using CCleaner Registry cleaner on a broken system, and never without a good backup of your computer, and without backing up the Registry first when prompted.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I agree, using CCleaner or the built-in Disk Cleanup Utility is good enough.

This post will give you more cleaning options when using the Disk Cleanup tool:
    Activate & Automate Enhanced Disk Cleanup Tool operation in Windows 7 | 8