vivek87 is offline New Member

Default Graphics driver not working pls help

I have dell 1640 studio xps and i recently ugraded to windows 8.1, after upgrading, my graphics driver ati RADEON hd 4670 is not working, catalyst control centre is not working even after reinstalling it. it shows you have associate it with other installed software in windows defaults.

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

You basically need to force remove the drivers completely. Use this tool Guru3D - Driver Sweeper then download a fresh version that supports 8.1 Here is just for a reference How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers From A Windows Based System

irvsp is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by vivek87 View Post
    I have dell 1640 studio xps and i recently ugraded to windows 8.1, after upgrading, my graphics driver ati RADEON hd 4670 is not working, catalyst control centre is not working even after reinstalling it. it shows you have associate it with other installed software in windows defaults.
    I just basically hit this too... and I 'had' an HD4780.

HD 4000 series ATI is calling LEGACY... and therefor the Win8 driver was the LAST one made. Check ATI.COM for the HD4xxx seried drivers, nothing past Win8.

I had the problem of the CCC not opening under Win8.1 but it did when I was on Win8. I randomly got a Net Framework dialog error box on shutdown under Win8, and it was due to CCC if I had opened it. If I didn't I never got the error.

I tried removing the driver and just using the DEFAULT Win8.1 driver. That was of little help as I couldn't just install CCC and make it work. I tried ALL sorts of combinations of Beta and Legacy driver and a variety of methods of installing, clean, over each other, NOTHING was able to allow me to run CCC.

I finally used one of the driver cleaners and used the MS Default but that wouldn't allow me to have the full resolution my display could handle. So I installed just the Beta driver and it appeared to work better. Then I started to see some font corruption in Firefox and IE randomly, easily fixed by scrolling a site off the screen and back on.

I decided that was enough. I upgraded to a Win8.1 supported video card (on my Dell XPS Studio 1 that is 4 1/2 years old). I bought an HD 7770 2GB card on Amazon, $119.99 after rebate. If you want something cheaper, Newegg has a 1GB 7770 for $79.99 after rebate.

I selected the 7770 based on voltage draw requirements and that they are still supported and a new model than the HD 5000 and 6000 series.

Sorry, I tried to paste in URL's, and it said I wasn't allowed to do that. You'll have to search those sites to find them.