yeehaaeasy is offline New Member

Default Hard drive Meltdown - How to recover Windows 8.1 key

My tablet/laptop combo has an SSD hard drive which has just failed. I wonder if somebody could help with getting back up and running. I bought a new hard drive, how do I get this one to install Win 8.1 ? Do I have to purchase it again or can Microsoft trace my previous product code. (I don't have a copy of it or any backups etc, and no product code either).

How do I contact Microsoft (simply) because it's frustrating to spend 2/3 hours trying to find the correct link and not get any help via the Win 8.1 site.

Thanks for the help.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

If you had the Windows license key, it would have been easy to just install it on your new hard drive.

But you say you just don't have back up or no details about the Windows 8 serial key. In this case I doubt if Microsoft would be able to help you. But you could try and call Microsoft Support, give your purchase, date, place, etc, details and see if they will be able to help you.

That is what I think. I hope some one else here has a better idea.

nomanfayez is offline New Member

1. is it (OS 8.1) preinstalled in your laptop?
    if yes! it is the responsibility of the retailer to fix your HDD along with OS installation.
    if No! you will get no support from Microsoft without proper information in your hand! First question is who installed that OS in your laptop and how did u get the license key? The answer depends on that question!
    2. if you purchase the OS licensed previously from Microsoft then just > Log in to that e-mail u used before>> go to the download link in that e-mail> it will be some matter of click and the download of the 8.1.iso then. You will get your key there

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yeehaaeasy View Post
    My tablet/laptop combo has an SSD hard drive which has just failed. I wonder if somebody could help with getting back up and running. I bought a new hard drive, how do I get this one to install Win 8.1 ? Do I have to purchase it again or can Microsoft trace my previous product code. (I don't have a copy of it or any backups etc, and no product code either).

How do I contact Microsoft (simply) because it's frustrating to spend 2/3 hours trying to find the correct link and not get any help via the Win 8.1 site.

Thanks for the help.
    If it had pre-install Windows 8 check the COA sticker. Using that you can recover 8 then update to 8.1
    Last edited by Capt.Jack; 5th January 2014 at 11:09.

golddust is offline New Member

They don't put COA stickers on the computer anymore. I read about that about a year ago. Bought a new HP desktop a month ago and, sure enough, no COA sticker anywhere.

MRoether is offline New Member

Try this, search for "produkey", download it and install it on a USB drive. My HDD had problems too, I was able to get the laptop to boot again but now I am seeing the I need to activate windows and mine also did not show a product key (it is in the BIOS now) so I found this to recover my key. Next step is to get the product key loaded so I can activate my windows again. I know that everything is there, I just can't access it yet because my windows shows it has not been activated yet (2+ year old laptop with windows 8 pre-installed). Wish me luck as I do not want to pull the drive from the laptop, copy all my files, then re-install from scratch and re-install all my software and files. No, a backup has not been done recently. Any pointers for getting my windows back up and running without doing a full re-install would be great.