Fatbroad49 is offline Beginner

Question Does My HP Envy m6 Sleekbook Need More Memory?

Please forgive me if I asked this question before, but this old brain can't remember so well anymore. Anyway, as the title says I have 6GB of RAM and I'm wondering, since 8.1 seems to want more power, if I should go up to 8GB. Would it give me better speed, responsiveness, overall better functioning? I would really like to know because I don't want to waste money if I don't need more memory. Again, thanks for all your help!

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

We need to know your hardware specs. While the motherboard may physically support more RAM, the chipset may not. Also much depends on the memory architecture used by your motherboard. If your motherboard uses "triple-channel" memory architecture, your memory modules must be installed in matching threes (3 sticks, 6 sticks, etc.). If your board supports dual-channel, you need to install your modules in pairs of matching sticks (modules).

Also, we need to know how many memory slots your board has, and how the memory is configured now to see where we are starting from.

Do note that 6Gb is a fair amount and my recommended minimum for triple channel boards.

Finally, depending on how your current 6Gb is derived (for example, it could be 3 x 2Gb or 1 x 2Gb + 1 x 4Gb) and what your board supports, you may need to toss 1 or more of your current sticks.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Save your money and get a SSD instead. That will really boost performance. With 6GB you have more than enough RAM.

123hpenvy is offline New Member

Hello,

I need help to upgrade my RAM memory for my HP envy touchsmart m6-n010dx.

I actually have 6GB of Ram and would like to know the maximum supported by this ENVY model.Upgrading memory helps improve system performance. By following the step-by-step instructions in this document, you can successfully upgrade random-access memory (RAM) for all HP and Compaq notebook computers. While the graphics might not match your specific computer model, the steps will work.

Thank you for your Help