Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By D-man

Thread: Volume Shadow Copy Service FIXED! (W8) error 0x81000202 & 203

D-man is offline New Member

Smile Volume Shadow Copy Service FIXED! (W8) error 0x81000202 & 203

Tried all the stock fixes with no luck. My VSS was running but not working. Neither was my Wi-fi. Could not use system restore without working VSS. I did the Safe boot checks and other things told to try but this is what saved the day.

Not in safe mode (windows 8)

Lower left hand corner right click and find "run". Type in "msconfig" (no quotes). In system configuration select services. Select enable all. Apply and OK. The system will reboot and if your problem was like mine it will be fixed.

Of coarse with a working system restore I did just that, date prior to the problem. This all happened after I logged off (which I don't normally do) and couldn't get back on other then as a guest. That was the beginning of my problem....all better now. Good luck.
    HappyAndyK and Kianbobian like this.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanks for the post and sharing your experiences.

That said, I should point out that MSCONFIG should not be used to make permanent changes to our systems. MSCONFIG is a "troubleshooting" tool to make "temporary" changes while troubleshooting. Once you determine with MSCONFIG which service or program is causing problems, you should then use that program's options menu to properly configure the program, or uninstall that specific program.

P3PO is offline New Member

Cool event log error 0x81000202 fixed

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    Tried all the stock fixes with no luck. My VSS was running but not working. Neither was my Wi-fi. Could not use system restore without working VSS. I did the Safe boot checks and other things told to try but this is what saved the day.

Not in safe mode (windows 8)

Lower left hand corner right click and find "run". Type in "msconfig" (no quotes). In system configuration select services. Select enable all. Apply and OK. The system will reboot and if your problem was like mine it will be fixed.

Of coarse with a working system restore I did just that, date prior to the problem. This all happened after I logged off (which I don't normally do) and couldn't get back on other then as a guest. That was the beginning of my problem....all better now. Good luck.
    I had the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite C675 laptop. Got the Caseopia malware off which disabled the volume shadow copy service and removed WIFI setup. After checking registry, and running free malware removal tool Malwarebytes, Anti Malware, which did a nice job of finding Cassieopia and 2 other malware, I had problems, because I think this malware changed system registry setups that I could not access. My computer had an error at starting setup and asked me if I wanted to launch the set up fix tool, can'remember the exact name, but I did to fix the starting setup, and guess what! It reset my computer back to a setting when it was last working properly, I had the VSS back and just reestablished wifi by reregistering with the ATT Infinity modem I use. Everything is fine now. I use Windows 7
    Last edited by P3PO; 25th July 2015 at 16:55. Reason: needed to say I have awindows 7