radar90 is offline New Member

Default Windows 8.1 Pro keeps stopping, freezing, crashing

Hi I am a Newbie here,

I have an HP Laptop, Pavilion HDX 9250EA, that has been a brilliant computer, the OS ( C: ) hard drive failed and the Data ( D: ) hard drive was starting to fail, so I did something I don't normally do, I went for a major upgrade to the system by installing 2 x M500 480gb SSD's and installed WIndows 8.1 Pro. There have been issues with drivers and the hard drives but I have run through and cleared most, but I am getting near to cracking as the system just locks.

Firstly the mouse pointer fixes still and then the hard drives then stop flashing and I have to restart the laptop by pressing the on/off button. I have done a clean install and purchased various software to ensure the drives are correct but still the problem.

Can someone please help me as I am coming to the end of my tether.

Regards
    Radar90.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Hmmm, did you run the applicable Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant before attempting 8.1? HP has only provided drivers for Vista.

If I were to assume this is NOT a power problem (and I am not assuming anything at this point), then I would say this is clearly a driver compatibility issue. While Vista, W7, and W8/8.1 all share the same driver data base, not all drivers are interchangeable, or compatible.

Firstly the mouse pointer fixes still and then the hard drives then stop flashing and I have to restart the laptop by pressing the on/off button.
    So does it ever make it all the way through POST? If so, when does it start doing this?

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Windows 8.1 Pro wasn't an upgrade it was a straight install
    No, not proper logic and not according to your first post where you said, or at least implied you "upgraded" this computer from an older operating system (Vista, then W7) to 8.1.

So I ask again, did you run the advisor to see if your hardware can support an "upgrade" to the modern OS?

Power issues typically don't appear as "power issues". But the fact it does this on charger and battery does suggest the charger and battery are good.

POST = power on self test. This happens in the initial stages of the boot process, right up until the boot process seeks out the first bootable disk. If you are booting fully in to Windows, then your system is passing POST - a good thing.

From here, it appears you are attempting to install a modern operating system on legacy (old, obsolete) hardware that does not support that modern OS.

oklajohn is offline Beginner

HP isn't doing users any favors by not providing drivers. I also upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8, then 8.1 and haven't had any major problems (HP Pavilion p6230f) but I did run System 8 Upgrade Assistant before installing Windows 8. I do know when I go to HP site, it indicates my pc is only covered thru Vista and offers no downloads or drivers for Windows 8/8.1. Pretty crappy, I think, but guess I've been lucky so far. Just glad MS covers most of them automatically.

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Have you tried the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command, may be that helpful in fixing various issues at same instance.

Reset is another good option might be helpful for you.

Hope this helps, Good luck

macthecat is offline New Member

This sound very similar to my problem which turned out be he Nvidia graphics driver, which you should not allow to update past version 197.13 or you will get the crash problems. you need to configure windows updates to inform you about updates but let you decide what to install, and turn off automatic updates in the Nvidia control panel. this has worked for me, but in truth I decided to revert to windows 7 as there were other issues mainly with Win 8.1 that I did not like.