Ineedhelp is offline New Member

Default Inconsistent Windows 8.1 startup - Often doesn't work

Hi there

I have an HP Pavilion g6 laptop. I am on the operating system of Windows 8.1.

The problem I am having is that often when I switch it on, it either

1)Stays on the startup page with the dots going round but never starts up
    2)Detects an issue and 'Preparing for automatic repair'
    3)Occasionally works

I have been already gone through with the startup repair and even done a system restore but it still starts up weirdly and mostly not at all.

I have already disabled many of the startup processes to see if that made a difference, I have got the latest drivers..I am really unsure what else to do. Worth a system refresh?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

This could be an indication of a failing hard drive. I would do a drive diagnostics as the first step. It could also be a memory issue or even an issue with the video but I'd look at the drive first.

Either use the diagnostics that probably came with your system or use a diagnostics package from the drive manufacturer. To find the manufacturer go to your Control Panel and select Icon View. Next go to Device Manager. Click the arrow next to the Disk drives heading and it should show your drive and the manufacturer, probably either Seagate or Western Digital. Go to the manufacturer's site and download and install their diagnostics.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

I agree this could be signs of a failing HD so I recommend you IMMEDIATELY back up any and all personal files you do not want to lose.

Any problems booting into Safe Mode?

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    I agree this could be signs of a failing HD so I recommend you IMMEDIATELY back up any and all personal files you do not want to lose.
    Thank you for the pickup! I don't believe that I didn't say anything about backing data. I ALMOST want to suggest putting out a system image but, if the drive is failing, wouldn't want to put the stress on it at least until all data was safe.
    Last edited by jaylach; 18th June 2014 at 22:13.