222fbj is offline New Member

Question Removing Windows XP from dual boot: XP & 8.1

I have a 7yr old Dell (core2 duo) with Win8.1 home. I kept Windows XP when I installed Windows 8.1, but now want to remove it completely. I have a screen capture of Drive Manger but do not have permission to include an URL. The image shows MBR volumes exist on Drive 0 (xp), Drive 1 (Win8.1) and Drive 2 (which had Ubuntu on it at one time).

I tried removing Drive 0 (xp) and then booting from Drive 1 (Win 8.1) but the boot process hangs unless the XP drive is installed.

Note 1: I plan to install a SSD after I get XP removed. I could get the SSD now if that would make it easier for my to fix this mess.
    Note 2: The Dell has an Intel Raid controller but none of the volumes are striped/spanned.

Thanks for any ideas on how I can make progress

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

The issue is that the system is looking for and finding the boot info on Drive 0 (XP) and only there.

Do you have n original Win 8/8.1 install disk? Or even better create a recovery disk within Win 8.1. Boot to that recovery disk with the XP drive removed. I know that Win 7 recovery has and believe that 8.1 also has an option to perform startup repairs. Run the startup repair option. It could take a few runs to succeed.

Another option would be do download and install EasyBCD. EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies I have used this utility some but not a lot so can't be positive if it has the feature you would be looking for, When I did a LOT of multi-boots I was using VistaBootPro. Look for a feature to force a write of the boot loader to ALL disks. Your 8.1 drive should now also have all the boot info that it needs. It is possible that you may have to adjust your BIOS as to what hard drive to boot, depends on your BIOS.

I would try the first option first. Hope that this is of some help.

As a note!!! As in any situation where you are making a dramatic change it is best to backup first. The best form of backup for this purpose is a system image. Win 8.1 has the features to create such a backup. Nothing that I have suggested should cause any harm even if it does not work, just best to be prepared for the worst scenario. I recommend doing this via an external drive but, if there is enough free space, you could do it on the XP drive. While the XP drive CAN be used for an image I strongly recommend an external. On the other hand, if drive 2 (Ubuntu) is now empty it is a great choice for the system image as there is no chance of damage to an actual system drive and the creation of and restore of an image would be MUCH faster. In either case make sure to create a recovery disk as it will be needed if the system image needs to be restored.
    Last edited by jaylach; 21st August 2014 at 00:53.

I'll try those ideas. Thanks!

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello,

It's simple to do! Log on to Windows 8.1, format the Windows XP drive and remove boot entry for Windows XP using EasyBCD as mentioned in above reply or from System Configuration (running msconfig command to get this). Done!

Hope this helps, Good luck

I agree that the process is not hard to do but must advise caution. I DO believe that there are steps that need to be done as booting directly to the drive that holds Win 8.1 fails. It would seem that the boot loader info is being held on the XP drive. If this drive is formatted it is possible that the system will not boot at all.

Yes, removing the XP drive, as has been done, is different than formatting. On the other hand I find the chances of the system booting to 8.1 to not be much different if the drive is removed or formatted.

I would much rather see an attempt to use the startup repair features of a recovery disk done first. If that fails I would want to see an attempt with EasyBCD done to force a write of the boot info to the 8.1 drive. Until it is proven that the 8.1 drive will boot on its own I just cannot see formatting the XP drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapil Arya View Post
    Hello,

It's simple to do! Log on to Windows 8.1, format the Windows XP drive and remove boot entry for Windows XP using EasyBCD as mentioned in above reply or from System Configuration (running msconfig command to get this). Done!

Hope this helps, Good luck

FYI - The EasyBCD solution solved the problem.
    It was easy/simple with EasyBCD.

Thanks for the replies/help

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I once made a little tutorial which may help in the context.

Dual Boot - Delete a OS - Windows 7 Help Forums

I'm glad that you got things sorted. Easy BCD is a great little utility.

Stick around and visit now and then. Learn from some and teach some.