pingu is offline New Member

Default Control panel window blank - help with previous fixes!

Hello,

I stumbled upon a page of yours that outlined how to fix this very problem - Fix: Control Panel or System Restore window blank in Windows 8 | 7 . However, I'm having issues with all of the proposed fixes.

First of all, not sure if it makes any difference, but I also have no audio, and it's telling my my Audio Service is not running (which is how I found out about all this to begin with). And, my screen saver isn't working, my screen just goes black. I assume these are both part of the bigger problem - the inaccessible control panel, correct?

Disclaimer: I am NOT tech-savvy, but can follow instructions well if they're straightforward enough...here is where I ran into problems with the proposed fixes from the link above:

1. Run System File Checker: when I try to open this, I see the black screen for a split second then it disappears. I tried running it in cmd prompt and nothing happens. It just sits there as if I just pressed enter without asking it to scan. I made sure Windows Modules Installer service was disabled, and set to 'Manual', which it already way. My last attempt here was to try installing your FixWin program, but noticed that it is just for Windows 7 and Vista - I'm using Windows 8.1.

2. Reinstall three .dll files: vbscript reinstalled fine, but the other two (jscript and mshtml) didn't. I received an error stating, "The module "jscript.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005. For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term." So, I searched online and just found out that "a file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing." Not sure what this means or how to fix this...

3. I found out about the Refresh option (or is it just Recovery for 8.1?), but I can't access Control Panel to use it! Also, my Windows installation DVD is in another city right now, but if there's an easy way to Refresh without Control Panel and without the DVD, I think that might be a quick and easy fix, right?

I read elsewhere that it may be because my Software Protection service is not running. So, I manually Started it, and after a minute it turned back off automatically. In that minute of being on, my sound never came back and I still couldn't access Control Panel, so I don't think this is the problem...right? Its Startup Type is currently set at "Automatic (Delayed Start, Trigger Start)"

Thanks in advance for your support.
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 23rd September 2014 at 13:34. Reason: Linked

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Type sfc.exe in start search. When you see it, right-click on it and select Run as administrator. Now type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

You have to re-register the 3 dll files.

Links which may help you:

Unregister or Register DLL or OCX files in Windows 8 | 7

System File Checker: Run sfc /scannow in Windows 7 | 8

No sound or Sound is missing on Windows 8 / 7 computer

Refresh PC & Reset PC in Windows 8.

sfc.exe doesn't open for me, it just flashes on screen for half a second then disappears. When I try sfc /scannow in cmd prompt, it doesn't do anything. -EDIT: Actually, it is scanning now. I was just impatient with it, it took a few minutes to start...I'll see if that help.

I tried re-registering the 3 dll files but, like I said, the error message pops up for jscript and mshtml.
    Last edited by pingu; 23rd September 2014 at 15:14.

Okay, it finished and said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details can be found...etc"

I have the log here but am not sure what I should be looking for. There are four times the log states it cannot repair something, and it is the same each time:

Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.16384, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

Also, there are MANY times it states DIRSD OWNER WARNING for various things in my Windows and System32 folders...is this normal? For example:
    [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:520{260},l:132{66}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-WWFCoreComp, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
    Last edited by pingu; 23rd September 2014 at 15:43.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator