Derrickl is offline New Member

Exclamation Windows Activation problem

Hi, I have an HP desktop computer which is causing problems. It originally came with Windows 7 Pro which I updated to Windows 8 by purchasing a disc. This was installed with no real difficulty and Activated. This still shows as being activated on the System setting in Control Panel. When the windows 8.1 update came along I updated to it and updated my wife's laptop. Hers is working fine. Problems arose from my update as the Windows Store no longer worked, and the Computer Settings charm did not work anymore. Then I had a HDD breakdown, which my local techies were able to fix for me, recovering most stuff, and putting it on a new 1gb HDD. Still with the same problems in Windows.

Just the last few days, the desktop only has started to come up with a screen telling me that my licence is due to expire soon and to go to computer settings to activate. This I cannot do unless I go to the control panel, but I am not sure what to do then. The disc for Windows 8 that I got had a licence number with it which was duly entered, and then Windows was activated.

I have tried looking this up on the net and it is obviously a recognised problem, but there are many ways this can apparently happen and so there are differing fixes.

Can anyone help please?

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Go to your control panel then system. Attempt to activate. If it fails call Microsoft and they will help you activate.

I trust that your and your wife's systems have their own product codes and you are not trying to do both systems with the same info as this is not legal and will not work.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Activate Windows using the SLUI.EXE 3 command.

Else run the following command at an elevated command prompt:

Cscript.exe %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <Your Windows product key>
    Hope something helps.

If you need more help maybe these posts on Windows Activation will help you.

RolandJS is online now Windows Enthusiast

Guys, when I had Windows 8 OEM, I could not successfully use:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-is-validation
    [clicking on the purple button "Validate Now" -- nothing happened, nothing happened...]
    Is that a normal thing for Windows 8 OEM? If yes, I thought so, just wanted to make sure.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I think this could be a normal thing for an OEM Window.