Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Software that lets me choose which partitions to clone

  1. #1
    nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    108

    Default Software that lets me choose which partitions to clone

    Hi,

    Is there a clone program for w8 64bit that you can choose which partitions to clone instead of clone the whole HD?

  2. #2
    HappyAndyK's Avatar
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,367

    Default

    Maybe you will find something here: Free imaging software.

  3. #3
    whs's Avatar
    whs
    whs is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,421

  4. #4
    hackerman1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post

    Yes, Macrium Reflect can do that.
    Its easy to understand and very reliable.
    I have used Macrium Reflect since 2008, and I have not had any problems, I recommend it.

    But, why do you link to another forum whs ???
    Why not link directly to the software ?

    More information about Macrium Reflect Free: Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
    HappyAndyK likes this.

  5. #5
    whs's Avatar
    whs
    whs is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    This is a tutorial I made myself which I linked. Is that a problem ??

  6. #6
    hackerman1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    This is a tutorial I made myself which I linked. Is that a problem ??
    No.
    Only confusing.
    I thought it was a bit odd linking to another forum instead of linking directly to the software...

    Merry christmas and a happy new year !

  7. #7
    hackerman1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    When creating backups, after selecting what to backup and where to store the backup, on the third window:
    click "Advanced" in the lower-left corner
    Under "Compresssion", change to "High"
    The creation takes a few more minutes but the backup will be smaller...

    In the left menu, click "Comment"
    Enter some useful info about the backup

    Have you made any major changes since the previous backup ?
    Like fx. installed a new version of some program / a new program...?
    Enter that into comments.
    This makes it easy to see the difference compared to other backups when you are going to restore.
    When you see the list of backups, put your mouse on each backup and you will see the comments,
    making it easier to select the correct one to restore.

    Instead if restoring a complete backup you can also extract just parts of it like fx. some folders / files.

    Under "Restore", select "Explore Image" and the backup will be mounted, just like an external harddisk,
    copy whatever you want from the backup, and then unmount it.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 26th December 2014 at 02:23.

  8. #8
    whs's Avatar
    whs
    whs is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    No.
    Only confusing.
    I thought it was a bit odd linking to another forum instead of linking directly to the software...

    Merry christmas and a happy new year !
    I would think that most people can distinguish between a link to a product's website and a tutorial for the product.

  9. #9
    jaylach's Avatar
    jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wyoming or out in space...
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I would think that most people can distinguish between a link to a product's website and a tutorial for the product.
    On the other hand when a user asks for a link to a product that is what they probably should get in return.

    It would seem that when a member has already written a tutorial on a topic it should be just fine for a link to that information to be included in a response.

    However, the foremost purpose for a response on a help forum is to supply an answer to a user's question. In this case I would recommend that the proper post would have been to supply a link directly to the product along with another link to the tutorial with each described for what they are.

    Just my opinion...
    HappyAndyK likes this.

  10. #10
    whs's Avatar
    whs
    whs is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaylach View Post
    On the other hand when a user asks for a link to a product that is what they probably should get in return.

    It would seem that when a member has already written a tutorial on a topic it should be just fine for a link to that information to be included in a response.

    However, the foremost purpose for a response on a help forum is to supply an answer to a user's question. In this case I would recommend that the proper post would have been to supply a link directly to the product along with another link to the tutorial with each described for what they are.

    Just my opinion...
    Am I dealing with the blind here. The link to the free Macrium website is right in the tutorial. Next time you comment you should read first.

    I was trying to be helpful but I guess that is not appreciated around here.


Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22