28th January 2015, 15:17 #1
Windows 8 App Store Error 0xc03f40c8
Receive: Windows 8 App Store Error 0xc03f40c8.. your purchase couldn't be completed ... error.
I tried all the recommended things .. wsreset.exe / sfc / windows firewall check / app update / -> none of them helped. If i run wsreset i do not get the message, just the store comes back. And i cant do the "sync licenses" - i get the message "app licenses couldn't be synchronized"
I use an Acer Iconia W510 which is 1 week old. The store never worked... except for the update to windows 8.1 Date and time is set correctly to Sint Maarten (-4 hours) and as Region i used this as well.
And i have a strange "thing" with my microsoft user account: I bought the same PC a year ago in Spain. It was setup in Spanish. We changed it to German. When i now sign out and in again to Microsoft, i get the code to enter my account in Spanish. I wonder if this is the reason. I cant see anything about Spanish on my MS account ...
I did run this command to re-register: powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML
I did run "selective start" with MS products only ..
I viewed the events and found (next to an error with "Intel DptfPolicyLpmService" etc an Error message "wwahost.exe stopped interacting with windows"
I run apps.diagcab ... i get a message: Win Store Config my be damaged
Any idea what i have to do now ?
Thanks in advance.
29th January 2015, 10:22 #2
Hello and welcome to TWCF,
Open Store, press WIN Key + I, click App Updates. Under App licences, click Sync licence.
Then press WIN Key + R, type WSReset.exe and hit Enter. Now your problem must be solved. If it doesn't, try creating a new user account and test.
Hope this helps, Good luck
I have the exact same problem and all of the posted solutions offered don't work. I spent 10 hours with Microsoft premium support and dell premium support and none of their solutions worked.
I know that this will sound strange, but the problem is resolved for me if I utilize cell phone hot spot to make the Windows store purchase.
So this tells me that there is something in my home network that is incompatible with this one, single, unique element of the Windows store. I have several computers on my home network and all with windows 8.1 have the exact same issue.
The problem exist whether I use wired Ethernet or wireless. The problem exists whether I turn off or on my router firewall.
I am with time warner cable in California and have an Arris router model DG1670A.
I had similar issue when the HP Support recommended to try through a different WiFi network. I used the hotspot and store worked for downloading apps. I have isolated the issue (for me) to be my WiFi router. Direct Ethernet connection to cable modem also did not show the issue. I have On Networks N300 router that works fine with Google store, apples app store and everything else perfectly but is doing something that messes up the windows store download.
Originally Posted by electrafas
Last edited by Anqa; 20th July 2015 at 02:48.