Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmac635

Thread: No Boot Device Found error in Windows laptop

dmac635 is offline New Member

Default No Boot Device Found error in Windows laptop

New member here. I have searched and read through, and tried several of the recommendations concerning boot failure but have had no success. Here is my problem:
    Using a Dell Inspiron 15 (3537) and Windows 8. The laptop is about 2 years old and hardly used. No programs installed other than what came with the laptop. I removed the original hard drive and installed an SSD but never got around to using the laptop. Needed the SSD for another machine so I reinstalled the original hard drive. When trying to boot into Windows 8 I get the message as follows:

"PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check failure
    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM
    No Boot Device Found
    Press any key to reboot
    "

Using the F12 key I get a number of choices from Dell, one of which is to choose the "Windows Boot Manager". Using that option it boots into Windows 8 and I have been able to update the OS (one can imagine how many updates were necessary since the update page indicated the OS had never been updated).

Each time it called for a re-boot, I had to use the "Windows Boot Manager" to get into Windows. Thus, I know the OS is on the disk and is working. I have been able to navigate as I wish but have not been able to restore the Boot section to enable a normal boot process.

The machine is out of warranty and thus far Dell support has been very unsatisfactory. Any help would be appreciated. I am able to access a command window once in Windows but many of the commands recommended in this Forum articles such as "\windows\system32\ bootrec /fixMBR" return "Access Denied" or something of that nature. Many thanks in advance.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Did you boot into BIOS and use Restore BIOS default settings option?

If you can access an elevated CMD, try running these commands one after the other:

bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /RebuildBCD

Perhaps this Dell link will help you:
    Alienware Systems: Error message "Press any key to continue, no boot device found" after flashing the Seagate hard drive firmware | Dell US

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Did you boot into BIOS and use Restore BIOS default settings option?

If you can access an elevated CMD, try running these commands one after the other:

bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /RebuildBCD
    Thanks!! I have tried to execute the "bootrec" commands from the "C:\Windows\System32" directory but there is no such file in that directory. Perhaps that command is valid in Win7 but not in Win8 as far as I can tell. Not sure what an "elevated CMD" is. I used a Command Window from the C: prompt.

I can accomplish all that I have tried in the OS itself. It is just getting booted properly that is the problem. I don't have an Alienware laptop but did check out the link. Thanks for that as well.

RolandJS is offline Windows Enthusiast

Right click on the DOS prompt icon and left click on Run As Administrator -- that's what the elevated command prompt means
    I prefer Otis myself...

Thanks everyone. I got the problem solved. Downloaded EasyRe as an ISO, burned to disk, booted from it and it rebuilt the boot partition. Works fine now. Many thanks
    HappyAndyK likes this.