Hello, Everybody,

I REALLY hope that someone will be able to help me out here. My frustration level is through the roof .

I am attempting to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS (x64) desktop (which had Windows 8 pre-installed) from Win 8 to Win 8.1. My main reason for installing 8.1 is so that I can subsequently install Win 10, courtesy of MS.

AFAIK, all MS updates for Win 8 have been installed (including KB2871389 and KB3008273), I have verified that my PC is capable of running 8.1 (MS checklist), my copy of 8 is legal, I'm signed in to my MS account, running as Admin, anti-virus turned off during install process, etc.

The following is a step-by-step list of what I see and do during the upgrade attempt:

- Click on the Upgrade to Windows 8.1 tile in the Store.

- Download commences. The progress bar tells me "Downloading", and then, "Checking Compatibility", "Applying Changes", "Gathering Information", and finally I'm told that it's time to restart. I choose to Restart Now.

- After restarting, I see the "Setting Up" progress bar. The progress bar gets to approx. 50%, and computer restarts again.

- At the completion of this restart, all of my PC peripherals come back to life (as they should). This includes the mouse, keyboard, Wi-Fi adapter, and external hard drive. The only item that does not come back up is my LCD display (graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series, with an up-to-date driver and 1GB memory). Nothing else happens, even after allowing the PC to run in this state for 8 to 9 hours. Eventually, I have to do a hard restart (power button) in order to continue working.

The following files are now on my computer, as a result of my upgrade attempts:
C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\install.esd Size:2.62GB
C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\sources\install.es d Size:2.62GB
C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\installx64.esd Size:2.63GB

OK…whew. I have no idea if I’ve provided too much information about my particular situation, or not enough. If more information is desired, I will do my best to provide it. It’s just that I’ve been through just about every online article that I can find, in order to get my idiot box to do what I want it to do.

As I previously stated, I hope that there are some folks out there in the ether who can either help me with this problem, or else definitively tell me that this is a hopeless cause, and that I should just cough up the cash and purchase Win 10 from MS.

In advance, thank you!