tuanvuhn is offline New Member

Default Automatic Repair takes over and then fails in Windows 10

Recently I had to replace the hard drive on my three three year old desktop. I installed Windows 8 Pro and restored my pictures and documents and programs and all was in working order. Yesterday a prompt appeared on my screen to update to Windows 8.1. I chose later. that was the on onley alternative to installing it. Today the Windows 8.1 started installing automatically. After a half hour or so the installation seemed to freeze. After waiting for some time I decided to shut down and reboot.

I was prompted to proceed with a Automatic repair. That proceeded to a point who ere it said the repair could not be done.

I tried to go Safe mode but the Automatic repair takes over and repeats to the failure to repair point

I tried to reinstall Windows 8 from the disk but this requires a normal start up.

Please tell me if there is a procedure that would enable a normal start up. Thanks for any advice

I cannot install Windows 8 because the the PC Automatic repair process takes over and after running for a few minutes gives a message that the repair cannot be done. .There are some options presented such as restore and reset but these are prevented from running because the Automatic repair takes over and then fails. There is a screen of advanced options ; System Restore; System Image Recovery; Automatic repair; Command prompt; UEFI firmware recovery; Start up settings. I tried a number of options under the Start up settings but automatic repair takes over. Can the problem be overcome through the Command Prompt option. If so is there a way to do that? Thanks for your valuable input. Harold

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator