Thread: Microsoft Image Composite Editor for Panoramic Images

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Default Microsoft Image Composite Editor for Panoramic Images

Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) is just 3MB in size but does a wonderful job to make great panoramic images.

What is Microsoft ICE ?

Microsoft Image Composite Editor is an advanced panoramic image stitcher. You shoot a set of overlapping photographs of a scene from a single location, and Image Composite Editor creates a high-resolution panorama incorporating all your images at full resolution.

Lets give it a test

Recently I have gone to Bangalore for some work and I have taken few overlapped images of Bangalore Airport with my Nikon s51c. There are 5 separate images which I have taken while standing still at a same place.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

As you take a look at these images, you may notice the camera rotation in every image, however still all these images needs to be stitched together to give us a panoramic impression.

Though the software says “Advance” but as you launch the software, you would find a very simple and easy to navigate interface.

So as it says, all I need to do is drag and drop the images inside the work pane. Once I have added those 5 above shown images, this is the output which I get.

Only thing which is now left is saving the image after cropping it to leave out the choppy edges. There is an option given called “Automatic Crop” which does the job nicely and makes the image ready for export !!!

The Stitched Image

Intelligence of the software can be seen on a closer look to the stitched image while in extreme zoom. As for example in this below section, which is a zoom-in section of the stitched image, you may see the software has sacrificed the floor matching, in order to make sure the car is matched properly, while joining image 3 and image 4.

Microsoft ICE can definitely be an answer to the question, How to make beautiful panoramic images. Ohh, one more thing, this is a free software by the way !!!

Download Page:
    32-bit : Image Composite Editor (32-Bit) - Microsoft Research
    64-bit : Image Composite Editor (64-Bit) - Microsoft Research

Source => ChotoCheeta.com

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

It looks like a pretty amazing app!

sassofalco is offline New Member

Thumbs up Microsoft ICE

Without any 'HALP!!!!', I have just managed to create the best stitch of 5 photos ever. I love the simplicity of the screen, and the Auto-crop has produced the most stunning of photos I have ever taken. No problems of 'bending' or 'jagged laps' apparent. Thanks for bringing this to notice, and it also excites to be one of first to make use of this great program. WOW!!

Microsoft Image Composite Editor has been updated a few days back

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

thanks chotu aka Sourav

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Nice app will try it out

geeyes is offline Beginner

Nice apps, Thanks for the tip