Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    arvind_kumar is offline Senior Member

Default How to Create Strong Passwords ~ Remain safe from internet threats!

How to create a Strong Password

A secret string of characters used by people to log on to a computer and access files, programs, and other resources is named as Password which can be made up of letters, symbols, and spaces. Passwords are case-sensitive. It ensures that unauthorized people do not access the computer.

Passwords are considered as first line of defense against unauthorized access to computer. Remember strong is the password more the computer is protected from hackers and malwares.

What makes a password strong (or weak)?
    A strong password:

• Is at least eight characters long.
    • Does not contain your user name, real name, or company name.
    • Does not contain a complete word.
    • Is significantly different from previous passwords.
    • Contains characters from each of the following four categories:

Character category
    Uppercase letters like A, B, C
    Lowercase letters like a, b, c
    Numbers like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    Symbols found on the keyboard (all keyboard characters not defined as letters or numerals) and spaces like ` ~ ! @ # $ &#37; ^ & * ( ) _ - + = { } [ ] \ | : ; " ' < > , . ? /

A password might meet all the criteria above and still be a weak password. For example, Hello2U! meets all the criteria for a strong password listed above, but is still weak because it contains a complete word. H3ll0 2 U! is a stronger alternative because it replaces some of the letters in the complete word with numbers and also includes spaces.

Have a glance of following tips which will help in remembering string passwords:
    • Use easy-to-remember piece of information to create acronyms as for example pick some meaningful phrases to use as your guide. Then create passwords using that phrases as My Birthday is on 23 February, 1987 which might be used as Mbio23/Feb,87.
    • Create an acronym from an easy-to-remember piece of information. For example, pick a phrase that is meaningful to you, such as My son's birthday is 12 December, 2004. Using that phrase as your guide, you might use Msbi12/Dec,4 for your password.
    • Substitute numbers, symbols, and misspellings for letters or words in an easy-to-remember phrase. For example, My son's birthday is 12 December, 2004 could become Mi$un's Brthd8iz 12124 (it's OK to use spaces in your password).
    • Relate your password to a favorite hobby or sport. For example, I love to play badminton could become ILuv2PlayB@dm1nt()n.
    If you feel you must write down your password in order to remember it, make sure you don't label it as your password, and keep it in a safe place.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

These are really useful tips, which most of us dont .. but must follow. Thanks.

Looks like you have started a new blog. Congrats !

ravi_9793 is offline Senior Member

Just adding something..........

Most of use one common password for all forums or Email Ids. But we should use different password for different Ids, forums, website admin login etc.

v3loc1ty is offline Gold Member

i know all about how to keep passwords safe..as online security is number one priority..thx for tips

arvind_kumar is offline Senior Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    These are really useful tips, which most of us dont .. but must follow. Thanks.

Looks like you have started a new blog. Congrats !
    Ya! that's right I started My blog.

One more thing the tips I provided are to create strong passwords but how do one know that the passwords created by an user is safe or not or whether it is a strong one or not. So don't worry Microsoft have its solution. The Redmond giant provides a Password Checker Utility to check the strengths of the passwords.

U can easily check strengths of your passwords. Example of Best password from my view is like "ILuvMyQu@dC()re" it is easy to remember as "ILuvMyQuadCore" different way. The password checker rates the passwords as Weak, Medium, Strong and Best.

Password Checker

DeborahJ is offline Windows Enthusiast

Nice. was looking for something like this. This is Microsoft's take on this Strong Passwords and Password Security | Microsoft Security.

Read this too from the Microsoft stables -- Download PPT file.

seti is offline Member

I always use Microsofts password checker and if it gets a best on that then I am happy with the results. I always say do use a combination of letters and numbers lower and uppercase and nothing that can be guessed at by those who have an idea about your family, job, or interests. But in the end we all choose a password that we can remember, as we choose a pin number that we can easily remember.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Another good topic!

Here's an interesting article with some password statistics: PHPBB Password Analysis - Hacked Off - Dark Reading

There are a lot of "behind the scenes" (private) discussions among Security MVPs about security measures (i.e., two-factor authentication) and, particularly, password strength. The current recommendation is that a longer password is much more difficult to crack. See Roger Grimes article: Password size does matter | InfoWorld | Column | 2006-07-21 | By Roger A. Grimes

One thing for certain, the worst type of password is indeed a dictionary word or a repetitive or sequential character set. As ravi_9793 said:

use different password for different Ids, forums, website admin login etc.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Pretty interesting reads; esp the first one.

Observations worth noting:

- 16% of passwords matched a person's first name.
    - 14% of passwords were patterns on the keyboard
    - Most commonly used passwords:
    3.03% "123456"
    2.13% "password"
    1.45% "phpbb"
    0.91% "qwerty"
    0.82% "12345"

I've yet to find a way to remember all my passwords and its a pain to get back in case of a sudden reinstall. I have not liked some of the current password software. Anyone know of a very-simple-to-use software to store passwords?

leofelix is offline Member

Very interesting and useful,
    thank you
    I'll make read your tutorial to some friends of mine who are so smart to use the name of their favourite pet, their birth date or simply their own partner name for their own password.

They generally let their dafault browser save their passwords without encprypt them, of course

Page 1 of 2 12 Last