Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    roraniel is offline Gold Member

Paul:

One common one I run into as a tech hacker helping friends, family, and associates is windows update in Vista not working.

The common solution appears to be re-setting IE to manufacturer settings. But it would be cool if the automated fix maintained the users search engine default, homepage, and anti-phishing settings in IE.

Just a thought.

Randy

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Incidentally, MS does have a Tool To Repair Windows Updates which you can recommend.

Another major issue is Windows Host Process Rundll32 has Stopped Working .

Also fixes for restoring System Restore settings, Search/Indexer settings would be welcome.

I personally faced these two issue (Search indexer & System Restore not working) and it was some effort that I was able to write some (sort of a) guide for these:
    Troubleshooting Windows Vista Search & Indexing Errors
    Cannot create a System Restore Point in Windows Vista.

But for a layman, a fix would be most preferable.

Err... are we asking to much too soon from Fix-it. Hope not We expect some great work from them

Paulscho is offline MSFT - FixIt Blog

My apologies for the delayed response, I didn't check back on Andy's blog until now (been busy). To answer a couple of the responses from Andy and Rosaneil:

I am involving a PM to look at how we can work wtih you Andy on the 2 links below you wrote; I agree automation of content (where possilbe) is preferable to requiring users to walk manually through steps.

Regarding WU (Windows Update): I will speak Monday about ongoing work for this issue, as I know WU group is actively investigating, but may need to come back to you with questions.

BTW, I am sorry we've been out of touch, we've been busy posting 30 automated solutions. As always feel free to ping me directly on Facebook or blog etc (our group is Microsoft Product Quality Online). I am adding Andy's postings and readers responses via a link to the groups cross-posting.

-paul schottland

seti is offline Member

Firstly I'd like to say thank you to AndyK for the work he does here and secondly thank you for Paul for his comments. This forum does work folks and you never know who's stopping by and getting ideas and feed back so may be we should congratulate every one who uses this forum as well

Doug_72 is offline Senior Member

There need to be fixes for some common registry problems like when the taskbar is disabled or for some reason i am not able to change my wallpaper. i have to go and follow guides on how to edit the registry. i am thinking if microsoft could give registry fixes for such common problems, it would be great and would help a lot of common windows users who have not even heard what the registry is--and they do form a large percentage of windows users, you know!

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Guess I will be checking out those 30 new solutions. Good work!!!!!!

The new fixes look good and its encouraging to see the Fix-It folks dedication.

I think at some point of time, Paul, you will have to categorize and list the fixes for ready and easy reference, should anyone want to go through the entire list of fixes available on your blog.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

This is one of the best initiatives I have seen in a long time. Having been in software development (large systems) for 35 years myself, I know that it is not so easy to get fixes into the system on a "fast track". There are rigid procedures (and for good reasons) and it takes time to get a fix integrated into the mainstream - even if you have the solution in your desk since a long time. So this vehicle provides relief in the interim.
    We can only hope that Paul and his group can cover as much ground as possible and that they get proper funding for doing so.

They have come up with still more fixes. Must say the Fix it for me blog is active !

Paulscho is offline MSFT - FixIt Blog

Happy AndyK : I wanted to thank you for your coverage, which got cross-posted and your blog featured in Computerworld. Microsoft revs up 'Fix it' support tool

-paulscho

Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last