Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paulscho View Post
    Happy AndyK : I wanted to thank you for your coverage, which got cross-posted and your blog featured in Computerworld. Microsoft revs up 'Fix it' support tool

-paulscho
    We are getting everywhere now folks. Just shows how good we are

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The list of all available fixes from the Fix it Blog have been put here at Microsoft "Fix it"! for easy reference

iMav is offline Gold Member

@Paulscho do you guys plan to integrate with the Steps Recorder feature of Windows 7? That would be interesting.

The Fix it team will be hosting a webcast on February 19th at 4:00 PM EST, where you can learn more about Fix it and see the technology in action.

We want to learn more about you as well! You will have the opportunity to ask questions and get answers directly from the development team who works hard every day to provide you the solutions behind the Fix it button!

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    The Fix it team will be hosting a webcast on February 19th at 4:00 PM EST, where you can learn more about Fix it and see the technology in action.
    Thanks for that Andy what is EST in GMT as I've no idea what it is (EST that is) and would like to try and catch it if I can

Corrine is offline Gold Member

It is unusual for an MSFT event to be posted as Eastern time rather than Pacific. The conversion to UTC for Eastern Standard Time (EST) -0500 UTC.

(UTC/GMT) current local time from WorldTimeServer.com

Edit Note: Anand beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    ^ Incidentally, MS does have a Tool To Repair Windows Updates which you can recommend.
    Unfortunately, the "System Update Readiness Tool" is only for for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008-based computers. Dealing with malware cleanup, we frequently run into situations where the Microsoft/Windows Update Service is damaged on Windows XP computers.

There was a wonderful utility written by Eddie Bowers [MSFT] that was available from CodePlex. My understanding is that it was removed with the thought of making it an official tool. That was in November.

The original description for AU Check (v78) CodePlex - Open Source Project Hosting (Link no longer works) is reproduced below:
    Project Description

This tool automates the most common fixes to issues with the AU Client (windows update agent) and the WindowsUpdate site.

The script can be easily modified, but in its default configuration it does the following:
    • On Vista and 2008 it downloads and runs the Latest checksur
    • Re-registers all WU related DLLs
    • Renames the softwaredistribution\download folder
    • Checks the Service Object Security for WUAUSERV and BITS
    • Logs then Clears BITs Queue and BITS state files
    • Restarts AU and BITS services
    • It incorporates some registry checks (FilesNotToBackup) entries that can prevent BITS from starting.
    • creates an updates.htm in the c:\AULOGS directory with links to all the prerequisites for the update process
    • Creates several troubleshooting logs in c:\AULOGS in case the tool fails to fix the problem.
    • Tests PROXYCFG and writes a log indicating if the WinHTTP call succeeded (c:\aulogs)
    • Dumps output to detect MSXML registration problem (c:\aulogs)
    • Tests WGA using the mgadial tool and writes the output to a file in c:\aulogs.

This supports Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 2008 x86 or x64
    (It was also a sneaky way to have the user run the mgadial tool if it was suspected that the license might not be valid.)

It would truly be extremely valuable to those of us working in the security forums if the aureset tool could be made available at the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    It is unusual for an MSFT event to be posted as Eastern time rather than Pacific. The conversion to UTC for Eastern Standard Time (EST) -0500 UTC.

(UTC/GMT) current local time from WorldTimeServer.com

Edit Note: Anand beat me to it.
    sorry folks I went there and it looks as if it will be taking place at 01.00 if I've got it right, by which time I shall be well in the land of nodd giving it plenty of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hopefully Paulscho will arrange for the webcast to be recorded.

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last