seti is offline Member

Default Which office suite - Open Office vs Lotus Symphony ?

I need to get an office suite, like yesterday and at present can't afford Office 2007. So I was wondering what to go for there are two free packages I've looked at Open Office and Lotus Symphony, but both seem to get mixed reviewsSo folks what do you use and what would you recommend for meBy the way I have to be able to keep my exsiting Office documents and be able to update them any help and advice appreciated

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Lotus Symphony is built on OpenOffice code, is it not? And what little I have seen of OpenOffice, it sure looks good.

Maybe this will help throw some light.

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Since both are free, how about trying both of them out and making a decision based on your needs?
    Though i would have gone fore Open Office.

BTW, till the time you get hold of any of them, why don't you try out a 60 day trial of Office 2007? The students and home edition is pretty cheap!

Also, you could use your existing office documents with Google Documents till the time you finally install something.

seti is offline Member

Thanks for all your replies I have downloaded Lotus and Open Office, both have much going for them, but since Open Office is quite compatable with MS Office which I would have through choice if I could afford it I think I will go with Open Office

Ugly is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    I need to get an office suite, like yesterday and at present can't afford Office 2007. So I was wondering what to go for there are two free packages I've looked at Open Office and Lotus Symphony, but both seem to get mixed reviewsSo folks what do you use and what would you recommend for meBy the way I have to be able to keep my exsiting Office documents and be able to update them any help and advice appreciated
    They're both free so there's nothing to lose.
    Last edited by LeeW; 04-22-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: TWC does not condone directing users to pirated software

japp is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    Most of the ones behind Open Office started LibreOffice when Oracle took over. Read the other day that Oracle no longer will work on it.
    Check out LibreOffice here:
    Home LibreOffice