Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Talking That's enough. Down with Opera!

JCXP posted a lengthy story titled "That's enough. Down with Opera!" that asks its readers, and anyone else who does not agree with the EU's decision, to boycott all Opera software:

Microsoft announced that they would no longer include Internet Explorer in versions of Windows 7 sold in Europe, and would leave it up to OEM builders to decide which browser to install.

Well, things took a turn for the worse today when Opera made a statement saying this was not enough, and have now pushed the EU to pursue with the antitrust case. Opera believes the only reasonable solution is for Microsoft to include a "ballot screen" for users to select which browser to use.

This is absolutely nothing more than a company, who can't legitimately gain market share, trying to squeeze their unpopular browser onto Windows systems. Opera is simply upset because their browser is dead last in market share, and has already been surpassed by the recently released Google Chrome browser and Apple's Safari browser for Windows.

Microsoft is entirely within their right to include Internet Explorer as the default browser within their own OS, just like Apple includes their own Safari as the default browser in Mac OS X, and just like Opera Software would be free to include Opera as the default browser in their own OS, should they ever make one.

No company should be forced to include a competitor's product within their own products. This is as ridiculous as suing Coca-Cola to include Pepsi in their cans and bottles, or suing Toyota to use engines manufactured by General Motors in their vehicles.
    "That's enough. And it's time we do something about it.
    Today, we are proposing a complete boycott of all Opera software."

The trouble with this bold statement is the logic behind it is a little flawed. Yes, Opera "started it." However, regardless of your opinion on the whole antitrust case, the fact is that the EU found it reasonable enough to investigate.

Furthermore, it's equally important to note that both Mozilla and Google voiced their support of Opera's effort to have the EU investigate Microsoft for bundling Internet Explorer in Windows. I mean, if you're going to be boycotting Opera because it pushed the EU to start the investigation, you're going to have to boycott Firefox and Chrome because their parent companies support it.

Interesting read at Arstechnica.

What do you think of this?

hannubys is offline New Member

+1 for the boycott

Disk4mat is offline Beginner

+1 for the boycott

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

I too boycott !!! As i never use Opera. I am using IE and will always use IE.

seti is offline Member

THis is getting more and more stupid as time goes on. Time take the dummies out of their mouths and to start acting like children first then may be even adults. My Cat behaves better then this lot is doing at the moment.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

LOL...so true seti.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Only Opera seems to be whining...

Mozilla is not a complainant; we have not “joined the suit”, despite some reports to the contrary...
    From Q&A on Mozilla and the European Commission :: The Mozilla Blog

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Whilst it is good that the EU supervises monopolistic behavior, they went a little too far in this case. The people that make those decisions in the EU apparently do not understand the significance and need for a browser to get an operating system started. One can only hope that they come to their senses. It should, however, also be said, that the Microsoft solution to the problem is ridiculous. They basically propose business as usual - except now it is the OEM's that bundle the IE.
    And then there is also the question of Safari being bundled just the same way. Who is going to look at that.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Opera's chief technology officer, Hakon Wium Lie, said that he was "not impressed at all" by the latest proposal from Microsoft, which would let computer manufacturers choose which browser or browsers to include on new Windows 7 PCs.

"If this had happened in 1997 when the competition case was first being heard in the US, maybe it would have helped in creating a level playing field," Lie said. "But this is too little, too late. It won't restore competition in the browser market."
    If it's too little, too late surley that means that no matter how many times they complain they have a lost cause on there hands.

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

I like Opera. I think it is a bit faster than firefox, but I don't use Opera as often because my school's site doesn't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    My Cat behaves better then this lot is doing at the moment.
    This is funny but very true Seti! It is childish how Opera is trying to force their market share on Microsoft's behalf. This is like OpenOffice asking Microsoft to include in Windows a promotion for its product along side Microsoft's Office suite.

Opera is a good browser, but they need to earn their place in the market not wine and throw a fit about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast