iMav is offline Gold Member

Default Compare Your ISP DNS Speeds With Google & OpenDNS

Here's a tool I came across that allows you to compare the speeds of your ISP's DNS to that of Google's & OpenDNS'. All you need to do is download a java file, run it in command prompt with your ISP's primary DNS as an argument to the command.

So first download the jar file from here. And then start Command Prompt, navigate to the folder where the jar file is saved and type the following command:

Code:
    java -jar browsermob-dns-perf.jar 123.456.789.012
    NOTE: Replace 123.456.789.012 with the primary DNS of your ISP. The process takes time.

My speed results:

Lower is better.

Google Public DNS vs OpenDNS vs Your ISPís DNS Ė measuring performance - The BrowserMob Blog

seti is offline Member

Thanks iMav will try it later

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Is the above a one time test or did you run it more than once? I'd also test it with the the records cached on the DNS servers to see what the response times are.

The first test doesn't tell you all that much, the second would give you a pretty good idea about how fast your DNS server responds. If the times match (or close) then the DNS server was already caching the records.
    Last edited by Cithel; 7th December 2009 at 12:19.

I did flush the DNS before running it, don't know anything besides that to clear the DNS cache.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    I did flush the DNS before running it, don't know anything besides that to clear the DNS cache.
    Sorry, what I meant was that the server was caching the records. From what I read of the jar file it is going directly to the DNS server (which is the right way to test) so flushing the local cache should have no effect. But if the records are cached on Googles servers and not on OpenDNS's servers the OpenDNS server would have to query upstream and wait for a reply which would skew the results.

Since I don't (ever) run Java runtimes on my systems I went looking for an alternative to the app in the op.

I did some digging around and came up with an alternative program that tests a whole lot of servers and gives you the best result. Not sure how this compares to the java app but it is very detailed and very easy to use.

Get it here: NameBench

After running it I'm using 3 DNS servers that I never heard of and it is considerably faster. I used to run OpenDNS which appears to be about 40% slower than the suggestions the software made.
    Last edited by Cithel; 9th December 2009 at 15:00.

Came across this app that lets you change your DNS in a click -- DNS Jumper HomePage.
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 15th December 2009 at 12:52. Reason: linked to app's homepage :)