adhdcelt is offline New Member

Default Macrium Reflect Backup question

Can anyone help me with this?

My laptop boots into Windows XP, no problem.

So, I do a "disk image" using the free Macrium Reflect Backup Software, version 5.
    In the "create a backup" dialogue, partitions D (the recovery partition) and C (primary) on the hard drive are checked.
    I image the disk with both partitions checked.

Then I restore the image.
    Now, the machine boots, but instead of the machine simply booting into Windows like it always does, I now get a window that asks me to choose between two Windows boot options, one for each partition.

How can I use Reflect to image the hard drive so it boots straight into Windows from the restored disk image without me having to choose a partition?
    Why doesn't the created disk image just replace the drive the way it was so it books clean?
    Do I need to uncheck the D partition---the recovery partition---and just image the main C drive partition?
    If I uncheck the D partition, do I lose the recovery partition on the disk image, and if I restore from this image, do I no longer have a recovery partition after the restore? I'm afraid to try this.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by adhdcelt View Post
    Can anyone help me with this?

My laptop boots into Windows XP, no problem.

So, I do a "disk image" using the free Macrium Reflect Backup Software, version 5.
    In the "create a backup" dialogue, partitions D (the recovery partition) and C (primary) on the hard drive are checked.
    I image the disk with both partitions checked.

Then I restore the image.
    Now, the machine boots, but instead of the machine simply booting into Windows like it always does, I now get a window that asks me to choose between two Windows boot options, one for each partition.

How can I use Reflect to image the hard drive so it boots straight into Windows from the restored disk image without me having to choose a partition?
    Why doesn't the created disk image just replace the drive the way it was so it books clean?
    first of all, why do you want to create a backup of the recovery partition ?
    why not just backup your O/S (XP) ?

Quote Originally Posted by adhdcelt View Post
    Do I need to uncheck the D partition---the recovery partition---and just image the main C drive partition?
    If I uncheck the D partition, do I lose the recovery partition on the disk image, and if I restore from this image, do I no longer have a recovery partition after the restore? I'm afraid to try this.
    if you uncheck the recovery partion then Reflect only creates an image of your O/S (XP), it doesn´t do anything to your recovery-partition.
    later when you restore the O/S-partition (XP) then nothing happens to your recovery-partition.

fx. i have 8 (EIGHT!) partitions on my laptop, and i have restored my partition with W7-64bit many times the last few weeks, and all the other partitions are still there.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Image partition by partition and restore them individually too. But for D this is only necessary if you install a new HDD.

To get D out of your hair for booting, go into msconfig > Boot tab and delete it there.