Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HappyAndyK

Thread: Scrapper site continues to rank above the original source, viz TWC

khan.azhar is offline Beginner

Default Scrapper site continues to rank above the original source, viz TWC

Another example of how a site which is using TWC RSS feeds is ranking above the original source viz The Windows Club.

This is happening EVEN NOW!? Is Google slipping?

skydrive.live.com/#cid=2C57F5DDF35C64D2&id=2C57F5DDF35C64D2%21111&sc =photos

Last edited by HappyAndyK; 3rd February 2012 at 13:49. Reason: Link edited

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hey Azhar,

This is nothing new. See this post: Google still ranks scrapper sites 1st; Unlike Bing which ranks original source 1st. While Bing is smart enough to recognize the original source, Google still does not, after oh-so-many Panda Updates! Ever since Google took its eyes off the Search ball, and started focusing, not on Search, but on promoting its own web properties and increasing monetization, this has been happening. Google seems to have lost sight of its core business, and shifted it from 'Search' to 'Make more money online'!

These days you see Google pushing Blogger, YouTube, Google+, Google Maps blatantly on the first page, while ignoring even good video sites like Vimeo. In its attempt to introduce some supposedly good changes to its search algorithm, Google seems to have slipped somewhere. Rather than doing away with spam and scrapper sites, it is in fact these sites that rank higher than the original sources.

This post at Search Engine Land makes an interesting read: Dear Google: Crappy Results Like This Don't Give The Impression You Care About Search

I have already blogged about how a Google blogspot blog which uses my feeds ranks higher than this site, which is the original source:

Is the Google Panda Update partial to Blogspot.com blogs?

Panda is punishing the wrong people; Google now wants your help to fix their search

Now the site you have mentioned, in particular uses my feeds. Can Google not detect which content was posted first? Can Google not see the link at the end?

One day, Google thinks The Windows Club is a good site, and ranks for many keywords on the first page and the next day, it thinks its not. Take this example of the 20th Jan Panda update which was meant to punish sites whose content was NOT visible when one landed on the webpage and where one had to search for the first line. TWC content always appeared and was visible above-the-fold. Have a look at any post. Yet see how TWC traffic crashed by 50%!

I have also reported this problem to them earlier - as was suggested by Google - but looks like it is not listening to even hard facts! Last years traffic graph of TWC looks like a roller coaster ride track !

Do I feel guilty that TWC is bad or do I start being concerned about how Google Search seems to be floundering? I can understand a 10-20% change in search traffic when there is a change in algorithm, but when this happens, it makes me think that seriously wrong with Google's Search now! I can only hope that they can fix their search algorithm fast.

I know, I know, it may sound sacrilegious - criticizing "Do no evil" Google is after all a no-no, right!? But I hope that this is not the beginning of the end of Google Search as we know!

The sad part, is that with its sheer search market size, Google IS The King of the Internet. They decide who becomes visible and who becomes invisible on the net. Sadly today, not many believe that Google is playing a fair game!

PS: I may sound harsh or critical about Google search now - but for the record I still use Google Search personally and on all 3 websites of mine as the search engine. Well lets hope - they fix these things soon - for the sake of all of us...!
    LeeW and khan.azhar like this.

DeborahJ is offline Windows Enthusiast

I switched to Bing, 2 months back. Enough said.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

I tweeted about this issue mentioning Google and Matt Cutts,, and got a reply from him saying that, @nitinagarwal198 thx for mentioning; passed it to the team and they're discussing it.

https://twitter.com/mattcutts/status/165557546223009792

Let's see what changes they'll do! :-)

That's wonderful. Let's hope things work out for the best!

vasudev is offline Moderator

That's great to see a quick response from Google, hope this will be looked into soon.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

I switched a while back, too. I use Bing 99% of the time. There have been those very few, rare times that I have to use Google for search. I do use other Google products, though, just rarely use the search anymore. They've put way too much emphasis on the advertisements and less on the search results, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DeborahJ View Post
    I switched to Bing, 2 months back. Enough said.

khan.azhar is offline Beginner

Hoping things will change ...

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Awesome! That's was fast ... Hope they fix it soon.

The story still continues - scrappers and copy-pasters outranking the original source in Google! Will keep updating this post with examples as and when I see them! My original post on PrivaZer no where in sight!