edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Unhappy Windows Security Forum

I was just poking around the forums this morning and clicked on the "Windows Security" Forum and got this warning from AVG 2012 .......

Danger: Surf-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

URL: forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-security/
    Name: Rogue Scanner (type 831)

Please advise..........

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

which browser are you using ?

i use Firefox and i sometimes get that kind of warning when i visit a website.
    but, Firefox uses DNS-prefetch, which means that the warning usually is about an "external" / linked website, not the website that you are looking at.

i just had a quick look at "our" windows security-forum and i didnīt get any warning from Trend Micro (iīm using a computer at the university right now).

and different antivirus-programs react different to webbsites and software, which means false alarms sometimes.....

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    which browser are you using ?

i use Firefox and i sometimes get that kind of warning when i visit a website.
    but, Firefox uses DNS-prefetch, which means that the warning usually is about an "external" / linked website, not the website that you are looking at.

i just had a quick look at "our" windows security-forum and i didnīt get any warning from Trend Micro (iīm using a computer at the university right now).

and different antivirus-programs react different to webbsites and software, which means false alarms sometimes.....
    Doesn't matter which browser I use , IE9 , Chrome or Firefox , AVG 2012 will throw up the same alert on all three browsers if I click on the Windows Security Forum link

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Hi, edee. Google AdSense provides advertisements based on the subject matter of the forum. When I visited TWC Security Forum with IE9 and disabled all filtering (ActiveX & Tracking Protection), one of the Ads was for AVG, although I did not click the link. It is possible that was a "poisoned" link, which is what AVG was warning you about. I didn't get any warnings from Malwarebytes or ESET.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

This is not something new. AVG Link Scanner has ALWAYS blocked TWC Windows Security Forum ONLY.

See Is AVG blocking TWC Security Forum?

On the forum I use only Google AdSense code only - and that too forum-wide. So why is only the Security forum being blocked?

I think AVG decided to block our security forums because of some bad press they received here - and that is why they are blocking only our Security forums.

You can check TWC URLs with any of these more dependable URL scanners.