Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hackerman1

Thread: What does System Restore restore?

Robko is offline Beginner

Default What does System Restore restore?

I have been using Win 7 for quite some time now and whenever I want to go back in time (ie restore my system to how it was prior to any downloads or installed programs) I use 'System Restore'.
    Every time I use System Restore the unwanted program exists, I keep asking myself exactly what does this useless component do? Or am I doing something wrong, even though I do make System Restore points.
    Can someone clarify System Restore please.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Hi !

System restore is not reliable, iīm not using it anymore.
    I had problems after installling some upgrades, so i used system restore to "go back in time".

But, after restoring windows-update still told me that i had a few updates installed, which were impossible since they were installed after the system restore point was created !?

I knew that without checking the date, but when i looked at the list of installed upgrades i saw several dates after
    the system restore point was created, which of course should be impossible.

A much better and reliable method is to use (FREE) imaging software like fx. Macrium Reflect to create and restore the system.

I recommend it.
    I started using it 5 years ago, after reading what other users who had used it for many years had to say about it.
    Itīs easy to understand, and it works...

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I agree with Hackerman, You are much better off using free Macrium. Here is a tutorial on how to use it.

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

A System Restore will affect your system files, programs and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your Windows computer. So any changes which have been made to these files, will be reversed. You can read more here: Find out programs & files which will be affected after System Restore

You will not definitely find the installed programs, if you restored your system to your point created prior to its installation. If at all you see its Program Files folder or shortcut, you may safely delete them, since its registry entries will now no longer be present in the Registry.

I for one have found that The System Restore never failed me in Windows 7 & Windows 8.

hackerman1 is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post

You will not definitely find the installed programs, if you restored your system to your point created prior to its installation. If at all you see its Program Files folder or shortcut, you may safely delete them, since its registry entries will now no longer be present in the Registry.

I for one have found that The System Restore never failed me in Windows 7 & Windows 8.
    In my post above i am refering to "windows update":

The original text says: "...but when i looked at the list of installed upgrades......"
    Itīs a typo, it should have been updates.

Corrected text:
    "But, after restoring windows-update still told me that i had a few updates installed, which were impossible since they were installed after the system restore point was created !?

I knew that without checking the date, but when i looked at the list of installed updates i saw several dates after
    the system restore point was created, which of course should be impossible."

System restore is a "timemachine", so of course after restoring there should not be any newer updates
    remaining if they were installed after the system restore point was created.
    That itīs logically impossible...
    So they were not installed anymore.

But, those updates were still listed as installed, with dates after creation of the system restore point.

This must be a BIG bug....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 3rd July 2013 at 12:19.
    HappyAndyK likes this.