HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation My new Dell laptop problems, solutions & workarounds

I recently bought a new Windows 8,1 touchscreen Dell Inspiron 15 7537 laptop.

The four problems I faced and solutions or workarounds for 3.

1. The 4 and 5 key is partially back-lit. This just shouldn’t have happened.
    2. I started receiving a error message box Your system does not appear to have Intel Rapid Start Technology enabled on every startup.
    3. My screen brightness flickered
    4. The AC power adapter type cannot be determined message kept appearing in spite of the fact that I’m using their original charger.

!!!

nikhil0082 is offline Beginner

The 4 and 5 key is partially back-lit. This just shouldn’t have happened.
    There might be an issue with the LED strip underneath. It might be possible that one of them isn't working, and it's getting lit by the adjacent LED, however, since these are Chic let keys, there's a less chance of that.

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined message kept appearing in spite of the fact that I’m using their original charger.
    This is quite amazing, and when I Googled for it, most of the hits were for your Model.
    Generally, this happens because of Loose Soldering of the adaptor to the Mainboard, due to which less power is delivered at the end, causing this error.
    However, since these Computers aren't soldered manually, it is nearly impossible for this to happen.
    Second reason for loose solder is improper use of the connector, but since your laptop is as good as new, even this probability is impossible.

I guess you should take your laptop to the service center as they'll be able to inspect what the issue is. If the could check the power delivered at the end, it'll be clear if it's a Hardware or a Software Issue.

I did go once, but it wasn't a big help. But I do plan to go again in a day or two.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Sorry to hear about your problems with your new laptop. It's frustrating when something brand-new has issues. Last year, a friend purchased a Lenovo Yoga 11 Ideapad on my recommendation. When it arrived, I went over to help her set it up, only to find Windows 8 not fully installed on the system! I had never heard of this before, and it must have been a problem with the disk image at the factory since none of the Windows recovery options were available to use. At any rate, it had to be returned, and they sent out a new one (which I now own, but that's another story).
    Last edited by James; 23rd August 2014 at 22:16.

Yeas, it can be frustrating, especially after you spend hard-earned money on a quality brand.

Well, I've been lucky as I was able to resolve most of the problems.

Regarding the backlit keyboard, I was told by Dell Support here, that it is a sort of a 'design defect' for India keyboard. I was shown the US laptop keyboard and its illumination was good. So I guess I just have to live up with a poorly illuminated backlit keyboard.