LeeW is offline Gold Member

Default Disable or Remove the Ease of Access Button from the Logon Screen

There are many many ways of disabling the Ease of Access Button from the Logon Screen and I won't go into posting links to sites with all those applications that disable it but give you a message if you click it. I have 2 successful ways of dealing with the button, Disable it where its pretty much useless or a way that I came up with to completely remove it from the screen ( yes thats right, no matter what everyone says you can remove it).

First we'll disable it

Goto Start Menu - Run - CMD and click OK. If you can't run a Command Prompt, goto

Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories and Right-Click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type or paste the following code into the Command Window

cacls %windir%\system32\utilman.exe /C /D Everyone
    and hit Enter

You will be prompted with a Y/N just type Y and hit Enter and close the Command Prompt

To enable it back open your Command Prompt and Type or Paste the following code into it hit Enter

cacls %windir%system32\utilman.exe /E /G "Everyone":R
    The next option is to Remove the Button from the Logon Screen Completely and will require a little understanding of editing a dll file. goto

My Computer\C:\Windows\System32 and locate the file Authui.dll .First Right-Click and make a copy and place it in a secure place in case you change your mind. Open the dll in a resurce editor ( I use PE Explorer which can be found by Googling). Locate the folder UIFILE and in this folder you will see 4 files, 3 xaml files and 1 textfile. We will be editing the 3 xaml files. Double-Click the file named 12400 and scroll down till you come across the following code

<if id="atom(Accessibility)">

delete everything following that code which will be 46 lines of code till you reach

<if id="atom(ToggleTabletKeyboard)">

stop at the line above that. Click save and open the next 2 files 12401 and 12402

Optionally you can edit the first one Right-Click Select all and copy, click save and open the other 2 Right-Click Select all and paste. These 3 files are identical. Save all 3 and Save changes to the file. Logoff and wala nomore Ease of Access Button

you can view screenshots and download an allready edited authui.dll from my blog
    ht tp: / /mywaywindows.blogspot. co m
    Sorry new member, won't allow me to post screenshots and links here yet, just put the link together to go to it

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Thats a nice tutorial, I will check that out when I am free

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Nice one. Didn't know this method. But it's a pretty long one.
    There is a much easier way to do this. I had blogged about it: how to remove easy-of-access button from Windows 7 logon screen.

There is a much easier way to do this. I had blogged about it: how to remove easy-of-access button from Windows 7 logon screen.
    Seems kind of long but it really isn't, plus the advantage to the 2 ways 1 which all you do is run a command line to disable. IDK about your application but everyone I have tested when run, leaves the button and when clicked puts a message across your logon saying it has been disabled by administrator. My way leaves no message for the disable command. And the other way looks like a alot of code to remove but it really isnt when your actually looking at it. Just made tut long so people not familiar with it won't miss a step

Well didn't give me an edit button to add a screenshot of my laptop with the Ease of Access Removed so If anyone would like to see it working. Here is the screen of my laptop I took last night

Last edited by LeeW; 01-06-2010 at 05:19 AM.

azziz07 is offline Windows Enthusiast

thanks for the info

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanks for this Lee.
    Been looking for a way to remove the button with a couple of simple tweaks I can add into the rest of my tweaks used at fresh install time.

And here it was right under my nose all along!

ksfno1 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by tweakwindows View Post
    There is a much easier way to do this. I had blogged about it: {{URL above}}
    I've installed the program and disabled the ease of access button; however, it didn't disappear

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    There are many many ways of disabling the Ease of Access Button from the Logon Screen and I won't go into posting links to sites with all those applications that disable it but give you a message if you click it. I have 2 successful ways of dealing with the button, Disable it where its pretty much useless or a way that I came up with to completely remove it from the screen ( yes thats right, no matter what everyone says you can remove it).

Goto Start Menu - Run - CMD and click OK. If you can't run a Command Prompt, follow this path:

Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories and Right-Click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Type or paste the following code into the Command Window and then hit Enter:

cacls %windir%\system32\utilman.exe /C /D Everyone

You will be prompted with a Y/N just type Y and hit Enter and close the Command Prompt.
    I've tried this, too. Unfortunately, it failed to lose that damn ease of access button

browner87 is offline New Member

I cannot make this work AT ALL! No matter what I do, I get a corrupt authui.dll.

Windows explorer says the legit Authui.dll is 1.83MB
    After the simple act open even opening and re-saving the file (as is) to the desktop with ANY program (ResHacker, XN Resource Hacker, XVI hex editor, etc) the file becomes 1.70MB

Thus, any modifications (or even an unmodified but opened and re-saved file) cause a nasty all-black screen.

I'm using Windows 7 x64

Can anyone explain this?

Jaeger123 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by browner87 View Post
    I cannot make this work AT ALL! No matter what I do, I get a corrupt authui.dll.

Windows explorer says the legit Authui.dll is 1.83MB
    After the simple act open even opening and re-saving the file (as is) to the desktop with ANY program (ResHacker, XN Resource Hacker, XVI hex editor, etc) the file becomes 1.70MB

Thus, any modifications (or even an unmodified but opened and re-saved file) cause a nasty all-black screen.

I'm using Windows 7 x64

Can anyone explain this?
    Check this out:
    xkaijin.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/customising-the-welcome-login-screen-on-windows-7-x64