phoenix369 is offline New Member

Default How to change system wide fonts in Windows?

Hi Guys:

I have always missed a system wide font customization app in windows. I know you can change some of then in windows but not all, at least not without messing with the registry. Does anyone knows if such an app exists ? If not, I would suggest any of the talented people creating all these wonderful apps to give it a try, it would be a mass hit for sure. I for one, would pay for an app like this.

Font customization is vital in system appearance and can change your experience more than you imagine, improving readability and comfort of your system. I canĀ“t believe this has been overlooked for so long, starting by windows engineers. This app could even change system font rendering engine, ala GDI++. Just wet dreaming ...

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

GDI++ is one awesome app and I have been using it since I dont even know As far as changing system wide fonts, you can go to "Windows Color and Appearance" and set your desired fonts. Takes less than a minute.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Its a nice idea for an app, thanks!

While on the topic, just in case anyone needs to know how to change fonts, you can do it this way:

Open regedit and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

In the RHS pane right click on MS Shell Dlg & MS Shell Dlg 2 and select Modify. Insert the name of a system font you already have on your PC.

This changes the default fonts for dialog boxes & buttons.

Create a system restore point first!

To change Windows fonts in select items like Icon, Inactive Title Bar, Active Title Bar, Menu, Message Box, Palette Title, Tool Tips, etc:

- Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and metrics.
    - In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. - Then, make any of the following changes:
    - In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.
    - In the Size list, click the font size that you want.
    - In the Color list, click the font color that you want.
    - Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Source: Change Windows fonts

Addl read:
    How to change system default font in all parts completely

phoenix369 is offline New Member

Thanks for your answers.

I really hope this idea can turn into a new app ... someday ... meanwhile, does anyone knows how to change the font size in the registry edited shell fonts ?
    This is my main problem because some of the fonts appear too small, while others are too big, hiding parts in some dialogs boxes.

Thanks a lot guys.

Peeyush is offline New Member

Hi,
    I am using Window Vista and I do have 50 GB free space in C drive but i am not able to shrink more than 275MB to create new partition.
    Can anyone let me know how can i make a partition of 35 GB.
    I have tried all the possible way but could not do it.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Please start a new thread for a new question. This cannot be answered in a thread pertaining to a different topic