HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default Iobit StartMenu8: Freeware to bring back Start Menu and Button to Windows 8

There is yet another freeware being released that promises to bring back the Windows 7 start menu and start button experience on Windows 8. We have already seen a few free tools - Iobit's StartMenu8 is one more such!

This freeware offers users who work with Windows Start Menu all the time and are not accustomed to the new Metro start screen in Windows 8, to bring back the Start Menu. It tool brings back both the start button and Windows Start Menu, and offers the option to skip Metro start page, allowing users who only work on desktop to boot to Windows 8 desktop directly.

My feeling is that once Windows 8 is released to the public, folks will find that the start screen is not so annoying to use as it looks to be now, and we may soon see such tools going out of fashion.

Nevertheless, this looks like a good tool, hence posting for those who may want to check it out.

Go get it here.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

I used the Start8 tool in the CP version, but after using the Metro interface for a bit, I really didn't mind it. It is a huge change from the Start menu, but you do get used to it. I do see people using these tools to help with the transition, but eventually they will move to the Metro interface (or whatever they are calling it these days!).