archp2008 is offline New Member

Default Customizing Desktop Background Images with Windows 8 and 8.1 both installed

I have Windows 8 and 8.1 both installed (along with other OS's). The first oddity I observed is that when I choose from specific optional Windows backgrounds from one of those two OS's (e.g. Flowers) I get the same backgrounds when I load Windows 8. I decided to add a Windows 8.1 logo to each of the wallpaper images in Windows/Web/Wallpaper/Flowers folder so that I would at least know that I was in Win 8.1 and not Win8. This worked perfectly in Win 8.1. I did the same thing in Windows 8 but the newly edited images with the logos do not appear as backgrounds. Only the original unchanged images appear I also notice that the edited images seem to be in a folder called Windows/Web/Wallpaper/Themes2 but I cannot actually view this folder in Windows explorer. Can someone suggest why I am having these difficulties. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

I assume that you are doing a multiple boot on a single system and not talking about different physical systems.

If the above is correct are you using a common data drive or partition? If so try making a folder for each OS such as 'themes Win 8 and themes Win 8.1'. Store the proper wallpaper images for each OS in the proper folder. Now, under the right click 'personalize' option on each desktop choose to browse to the folder that fits and select.

Even if not using a common data drive/partition using the above method should solve your issue. Just create a themes folder within your documents for each OS.

I have fairly extensive experience with multiple boots and virtual machines. If all of your OSs are on the same physical box are they each in fact on their own drive/partition or are they all installed on the same partition? Your specific issue sounds as though it may be that Win 8 and 8.1 are installed on the same drive/partition. While it is possible to do this and both will work you would have to accept such oddities as you see. To isolate each OS in a multi boot scenario each OS should have its own drive/partition. To further isolate each OS you should go to Drive Management in each OS and remove the drive letters for the other drives/partitions that hold an OS. A common data drive/partition is fine and I recommend using such as it is MUCH easier than syncing different data drives/partitions. LOL! I don't do it any more that much but, at one time, I had a multi-boot going with Win 3.1, 98, 2000, XP, Vista and Linux. All had their own partition/drive and the letters removed in each OS for the other OSs. This isolated so well that it even defeated the issue of Vista 'killing' XP Restore Points. I also used a common data partition but it was not available to Win 3.1 or 98 due to it being NTFS. At this time I only run a dual boot between Win 7 and 8.1 on my laptop with a 1TB drive. If I have a desire to do earlier OSs I just use virtual machines. The point of all this is really just to point out that it is best to isolate each OS as best as possible.
    Last edited by jaylach; 12th August 2014 at 01:42.